I know it's been awhile, but I have been focused on my upcoming cross-country pedaling adventure - see Two Traveling Trikes for more on that.
One of the monkey wrenches that has been thrown into my planning is my wonderful and awesome (NOT!) PBM, Caremark, decided to throw Humalog off their formulary, and mandated that I go to Novolog. Now I have nothing against Novo, I've just never used it and I have a really good feel for how Humalog works. In spite of having a pretty good backup supply of MY preferred normoglycemic elixir, I decided that I should try Novo out and figure out its quirks.
So can you believe this? My very first vial was bad! No matter what I did, pumping the new Novo resulted in a brief drop in the first hour (like from 180 to 130) and then the CGM breadcrumbs started climbing again. I reasoned my way into first trying a new infusion set @ 3 a.m. after several correction boluses. When I woke up @ 6:30, the CGM showed the same dip to 130 @ 4, then the inexorable rise to 220. Note that my correction bolus @ 3 was a full 50% higher and I set a TBR that was also 50% higher. Wow! At this point I was starting to wonder just how much Novo I was going to need compared to Huma. Then, I asked what I would do if I had the same results back on Huma ... I would ...
Change to a new vial!
Back to something approaching normality.
I love diabetes!