My blood sugars >300 almost always mean my pump is blocked. This is a problem I have continuously been encountering over the last 3 months. Despite a healthy diet and a little more continuous exercise, the blocks create the most frustrating obstacles for keeping my readings in control.
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Over the summer, I maintained an average blood glucose of about 130. The sites were working great. I do have to admit that I used only my stomach, but it was working, so I didn't think about changing my ways.However, right when the semester started, I started noticing high blood sugars. I'd look at my tubing and sometimes there was a kink or the catheter, when taking it out, was dry, as if no insulin was going in for some time. Realizing maybe I was overusing my stomach and probably developing scar tissue by now, thus making my sites less effective, I tried using my thighs again (for the first time in a long time). It worked good for two weeks-then again, blocks. There were times I have gone through three sets all in one day because of getting blocked. Luckily, they have come to a pause, but the blocks do show up every now and then.
Perhaps one of the worst cases was today-changing my site before dinner, I decided I will use my back (upper buttocks) for the first time since a VERY long time. In the past, this site has provided me mixed results, but since it is rarely used, I figured it might work this time. Giving myself the proper dose for dinner, I went about my ways but started feeling sick-and that's when I figured my blood sugar is probably not faring well. Checking it confirmed that I was right: 526. My blood sugar has not been so high in ages. Freaking out, I immediately took out my old site, injected my correction with syringes and then proceeded to change my site. I also did about 30 minutes of exercise afterward. Within an hour, my reading came down to 206.
I have posted my problems with sites on a diabetes forum and people have told me it's probably something to do with the way I change my sets. I am not new to the insulin pump-I've been using it for almost 8-9 years now (with a gap in between)-first the Deltec Cosmo, now the Minimed. I have had these problems before (which led me to temporarily going back to syringes till I was eligible to receive a new pump following Cosmo discontinuing the Deltec model). I figured it had to do with the reason Deltec was discontinued. Don't know. I'm considering calling up Minimed and getting a trainer to go over with me again the way I change my sites and the such.
This whole site issue raised my A1C by 1% :(. Hoping it gets fixed soon.