I've had two surgeries this year - carpal tunnel in both hands. My first was in February. I pre-paid the hospital $1700-ish. I also got a bill from them for $150-ish for bloodwork and an EKG. When I got my EOBs, my insurance said I only owed $127 for the labwork and around $1450 for the surgery. This means the hospital owes me money, I guess. I called the hospital and my account is "in review" and if a credit is owed, they'll refund it onto my credit card.
The time for my second surgery rolls around and the "in review" bit hasn't been sorted out yet (I'd actually only looked at the EOBs from the first surgery about 3 weeks prior, so no surprise there). Due to having met my deductible my second surgery is much, much less expensive and I'm told my portion is only $622 for the hospital fee. (Surgeon and anesthesiologist separate), so I pay that.
So far, 11 days later, nothing has been sent through my insurance for my second surgery, including the pre-op labwork and EKG that were done several days prior to the surgery. In addition to this, I know I'm going to have another fee to the anesthesiologist, and I've also got a therapist who has 3 visits for which claims haven't been processed. In short - between the outstanding claims, I will have more than met my max out of pocket.
The problem is that I'm also going to physical therapy, and each visit I'm having to pay a co-pay that I wouldn't pay if these claims had been filed. I'm also approved for a CGM, which will be 100% covered under durable medical and be free, once the claims go through.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get the hospital to hurry up to A) refund the money they owe me and B) file the darn claim so I can stop being in limbo? I called this morning and explained that I am close to my max out of pocket, and that every delay means more money they have to pay me back, so hopefully that will help, but they didn't seem too encouraging. The suggestion they had was to use the credit card that I'd paid them with to pay my other medical fees, as they'd be crediting any money owed me back to that card. Is that just really the best way to go, or would it be better to wait until they get it sorted? I have no idea how long they'll take.
Edited to add: By comparison, last time, the bill was submitted to and paid by my insurance 4 days after surgery. I called again and she clarified that it's pending in THEIR system. They haven't even finished adding all the charges up. ARG.