Sp get this - my insurance (Aetna) approved me for a CGM - it arrives tomorrow - but Animas is saying they don't think I will qualify for a pump. They had me get a fasting C-peptide test, which came in higher than anyone expected - just within the range of normal, which is great news - I'm still in my honeymoon period... but Animas thinks Aetna won't approve the pump now. Aetna officially requires a C-peptide below 110% of the low end of normal, or presence of beta antibodies, to approve a pump. I had a positive GADA test last year, which is when they decided I had Type 1 (or LADA) and not type 2 diabetes (that and the fact that oral meds and diet were doing nothing to improve my condition) - but Animas says that Aetna requires an IAA test, not a GADA test - and from what I've researched, less than 40% of LADA diabetics actually test positive for IAA.
BUT Medtronic had already told me that Aetna had approved a pump for me and were ready to go ahead with the order before I decided to go with the Animas pump. So it would seem I can get approved for it, but somehow Animas is not getting it through. My CDE thinks I am a prime candidate for pump therapy, and that if I'm up for it, it could really help me manage my health (especially allowing me to do more strenuous exercise). GAAAAH!! I don't get it.
So this is what it's like, eh? I'm only one year into this diabetes thing, and a lot of the time it's no big deal, but then sometimes I get completely obsessed and frustrated.