We received this message from Dexcom late yesterday:
Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) System
Based on your insurance, the most affordable way for you to obtain your Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) System will be through Diabetes Specialty Center (Utah) because they are in-network with your insurance.
Diabetes Specialty Center (Utah) will be contacting you soon to finalize your Dexcom order.
This is yet another example of the MANY delays since March 27th in trying to obtain this G5 CGM device.
I truly have to believe this company - Dexcom, that so many rave about here on these forums and how nice they are to deal with actually knows what its doing? IMHO, they are the ABSOLUTE worst medical device company ever! Now it appears Dexcom is using yet another THIRD party vendor to distribute their device.
My wife has M E D I C A R E parts A & B, what don’t they understand about billing the 80% of the cost of this device to Medicare? What is in-network? My wife’s secondary insurance is called CHAMPVA because I am a disabled veteran, and they pay the remaining 20% of her medical costs that medicare does not reimburse for. FTI: CHAMPVA is part of the US GOVERNMENT just like MEDICARE is.
A Huge Thanks goes out to @Jason99 for informing us about the Medicare Ombudsman, as I phoned the number provided, and reached an Ombudsman from Medicare. Later today, we will be having a conference call with the super intelligent people over @ Dexcom regarding this matter, and why they have been playing games with us for the past five months. Stay tuned!