Jess51 - saw your post this morning, current update on switch is below, hopefully one point might be helpful.
1. I am now 12 days in, since my switch/first dosage of Tresiba, I have noticed that a build up is necessary, in fact Tresiba mentions it takes approx. 8 days before the insulin becomes stable.
2. In talking with my doctor I should make changes every 3 days so, last Thursday I took 20 units, also on Fri and Sat as well, still noticed I need more so last night I went to 21. I probably should have taken 22, but I was doing much better over the weekend so I didn't want to go too far the other way, so again conservative.
3. I have now noticed my bolus's kicking in, which started after approx. 5 days on Tresiba, after a little buildup. During this time I had also increased my dosage, so now when I do go high, I am able to get my BS back to normal.
4. A small amount of food hits me hard, in other words as an example 40 carbs when I was on my pump does not impact me as much as it does now when I eat 40 carbs without my pump, I need to really watch the impact. I have also noticed workouts don't drop me as hard, but again I feel this goes back to I need more basil, just haven't gotten to my needed amount at this point.
5. I was taking my Tresiba shot at 9:45PM, however I was having highs starting at 6, noticed yesterday at 4, so I now take my shot at 7, this has helped me become more stable heading into bed. I know what you are thinking, Tresiba is 42 hrs long, I get that as well, but I have noticed, things seem to kick in approx. 2 hrs after I take the shot. Honestly I think this goes back to me needing more basil, time will tell but just an observation.
My next steps are to continue to increase my basil to get to a steady state when not eating, I have done this during the morning hours and afternoon, but noticed I still need adjustments. I have also noticed on my Dexcom, at any range, 240 or 112, my BS stays steady and slowly, I mean slowly rises. So I feel I now need to also focus on my bolus units, again an adjustment on both sides, both long and short acting. I am noticing I need more of a bolus, but again hard to tell since my basil isn't in place.
With starting with such a low basil, it has been tough, but it's better to be able to be in control (taking bolus) instead of taking one shot and being too low, just my opinion. My overall basil for a 24 hr period was 27, I have not reached that yet with Tresiba, but again, I feel that might be too much, only time will tell as I continually adjust.
Again keep experimenting, but don't make a huge change at one time, pick a dose, keep it in place for a few days then make the next adjustment, this will NOT be an overnight/week long journey, might take a couple/few weeks or more.
I will keep you posted/include some hints I find along the way as I continue to move forward. Again hope at least one of my comments is helpful!!