I haven't been around lately but I wanted to post an update to my occlusion issues on the X2. It's been 4 months since I posted about the regular "occlusion alerts" i'd been having. The good news is that I now have them very rarely. Maybe once every 5 infusion sets/ 20 days.
Here's what I had been doing for years on Medtronic as well as on the X2:
* CGM and infusion sets on my "love handles" aka just above my hips (I am relatively thin like many type 1s so I don't have a lot of site choices)
* I would put CGM on the front of my hips and inset slightly back on my hips, rotating each from left side to right side.
inset moves every 4 days CGM moves every 2 weeks.
that worked great for medtronic and terribly for Tandem X2. Here's what I changed to:
- moved cgm to my upper arms (this was a big leap for me and I was worried about it but it works great and after 2 times I had it down. it even works for 3 weeks per arm now) I keep it on with Skin-Tac and remove with Tac-Away
- moved infusion set farther back on my upper hips to a spot never used before (still change sides every 4 days)
- I now ALWAYS fill the Tandem cartridge completely full. I actually slightly overfill it just barely beyond 300ml)
- I spend lots of time tapping out and sucking out bubbles when I'm filling a cartridge. I really take my time and commit to getting nearly all the air out of that cartridge before pushing the insulin into it.
*after 4 days I change the infusion set only (to the other hip). I keep the same cartridge and tubing since I'll have about 150 units left at that point.
What I'm doing here is 2 things:
*moving the infusion set to virgin territory where there is likely less scarring or build up (although I can't see or feel anything in my old spots)
*taking great pains to have more insulin and less air in the cartridge.
I'm not sure which part of this change is most significant but I rarely have occlusion alerts anymore. When I do have them they are almost always when I have between 50-0 units of insulin left. and just like before- when I do get the alert I simply re-bolus (which always works fine) and chalk it up to an imprecise and overly cautious pressure reading.
I'd like to thank @Laddie . You're posts here and on your blog made me feel like I was not crazy and pointed me towards some fruitful experiments. Hopefully this post will help others.
Oh and I'm using T-90s just because I had a lot of them from my original order and with my first round of experiments I got the same results on all the infusion sets.