Reading the Official Google Blog this morning, I was surprised to read a post by one of their Vice Presidents, sharing his thoughts on putting health into patient's hands.

It struck a chord with me, where he discussed what he felt are the three core principles of a future health care system: Discovery, Action and Community. In his notes from the speech he gave to the 2007 American Medical Association of Informatics (AMIA) Spring Congress, he added:

Consumers can organize into communities which are protected from inappropriate commercial exploitation but allow consumers to share their experiences with others whose medical situations are similar, to rate the value of resources such as sites and health practitioners, and even to answer questions of each other in real time.

This resonated with me because it made me think of TuDiabetes.com and what goes on here through the participation and sharing of stories and tips of everyone involved... I can say that made my day! :)

Now, I wonder how much is Google thinking of diving into the Health space. Thoughts?

Tags: awareness, relevant, support

Views: 251

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you that TuDiabetes is exactly the type of community that I thought of when I read his speech.

And the larger blogging community that's talking about diabetes is also part of the bigger community.

But before we can get there (in my opinion) we need to be able to get the basic information, which is why I made my post.
It's all about empowering people, Bernard. I haven't done enough reading into Microformats, but I'll be glad to help however I can.

Bernard, it shows up as "The webpage cannot be found"....did you take it down for modification?

I figured it out to be because it was posted in 2007 and is likely just GONE for whatever reason.

Great post here, really does show how the internet can help something so frustrating, costly and devistating to our society as health care get on the right track, when well intentioned people stand up and unite. Do you have a "resources" section where people can recommend outlets for certain "diabetic" issues?

Think LinkedIn has something similar with their new Answers section, "recommend an expert"
The problem I have found with so many sites, is the political correctness. Where I have learned my most valuable information is talking to other diabetics. Doing research on what I am taking and going to the masses and asking how's it going on this drug? And using common sense. Even though I have talked extensively with my dr. That was like talking to a brick wall. I have learned, I have to be involved. I did like what this man said. But talk is cheap. And it will take a long time for things to be implemented. It always does. That is why you guys are so valuable. The more we communicate the better off we will be.
HI to everyone, first post :-)

Speaking of Google and Diabetes, anyone else noticed just how inappropriate all the scam Google Ads for diabetes "cures" on the right hand side of the pages here are?

James
Google Ads can be the craziest thing on earth... Some of them can be useful and some of them are just way off. :S
Yes, I noticed that. But it's just the algorithms that are doing it, not humans. Well, humans are behind the algorithms running the ads, but you get the idea.
James:

In regards to your statement: "anyone else noticed just how inappropriate all the scam Google Ads for diabetes "cures" on the right hand side of the pages here are?" I agree, but at least they are not ads for enlarging penises, and with a money back guarantee!
Manny is part of the forward progression of 'health' by creating this network. And you are part of it by being a member. This is the future. Thank you all, and thank you Ning.
You guys should read Bernard's post about the continued forward motion Google AND Microsoft are making towards the Health arena:
http://www.bernardfarrell.com/blog/2007/08/nyt-google-and-microsoft....

He made headlines today at MedGadget!!!
http://www.medgadget.com/archives/2007/08/google_microsoft_and_you....

About the topic, quite frankly the privacy implications concern me quite a bit...
"Dr. Google" always gives a 2nd opinion on healthcare and vet care in this household. Pretty sad commentary on what I think of the first opinions I receive.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service