Due to our move from Florida to California, I am now in the process of changing endos. It's quite stressing, to say the truth: I was comfortable with my previous doctor and I am full of questions about how my new doctor will be (I don't see him until Feb. 7).

How have you guys gone about changing endos in the past? Any advice in general?

Tags: endocrinologist

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Manny,

Your message is very timely. I'm considering whether I should change endos at the moment. I was diagnosed at a public hospital and started to see the public endo service, in which you see a doctor from a pool...

After waiting for up to 3 hours, I'm questioning wether is a good idea to keep using this service or getting to see a private endo. All up the difference is going to be around $50 per appointment, so not a big deal...

Still a bit concerned about "loosing" my medical history, or starting all over again.

Would be good to see what everyone elses experiences have been like.

Cheers,

Henry.-
I went through 4 until I was happy with the one I have and who I am seeing today. Way too much diabetes this week.

Good luck with your search, I think it is trial and error. Bottom line you probably know more than he does, but I think once you see him you will know if he is a keeper. Ask him quesions about pumping, CGM, proactive medicine, bloodwork, etc.

Good luck.
Manny, I feel your pain. I live an hour and a half from where I grew up. I still make the hour and a half drive to see my childhood endocrinologist because I love and trust him so much! He's good at keeping up on the latest advances and getting them into my hands too. Sometimes your insurance company will have a website with ratings and info. Also, teaching hospitals usually have some great doctors. For my pregnancy I got into a practice that specializes in high risk diabetic pregnancies. I had to deal with medical students hovering over the doctors, (like an episode of Grey's Anatomy!) but hey... they're learning about diabetes... so can't complain right?
Windy,

I went to a teaching hospital and the endo left me with a medical student, lordie, what a nightmare. He asked why I tested so much and this was in my prepumping years. Last time I went to see that endo and student.

So glad your experience was better. :)

Karen
Let me know what your experiences are. I am in the process of changing Endos also. I am changing because the one that I have seen treats me as if I have no brain. She also seems to feel that I am asking too much for her to do her job. Not every medication works the same on every person. I seem to be the exception to all of the rules. Everytime I change doctors the new doctors want me to go back and try everything back over again. It did not work the first time or the second time why try it a third or fourth time?

My advice would be to actually hand the doctor hard copies of your medical records so that you do not have to start from scratch.
Hi Manny,
I am glad you made the move okay. Sorry about the endo change. I think I have to agree that trial and error may be the best approach. Whenever you don't click with your doctor and you can't seem to both get on the same page, look elsewhere. It may be just an office visit for the doctor, but it is your precious life that needs the care.
The internist I had been seeing never listened to how bad I was feeling. I tried an endo, but she was very distant and seemed like she didn't want to discuss anything. Then I had to wait for 7 weeks before she talked to me about my tests. During that time I got sicker and sicker. When she did talk to me she would not give me copies of the tests or any numbers that came up. She also told me that everything was abnormal but she wouldn't treat anything. What a waste of time and money. I finally went to the family practice doctor who takes care of my type 1 son. He takes care of a number of diabetics and is an absolute jewel. Although I am a type 2, I have many com plex problems and he is always open to questions and my opinions. And he is always looking to fine tune something or try something a little different so we can make something else work better for me.
So I guess the little pearl of wisdom I will offer is to look for someone you can feel a connection to. You will know when you can or cannot work with him.(or her). Good luck.
I decided to focus this month's column that I write for dLife on the topic of choosing an endocrinologist:

"Going to the endocrinologist can be an interesting (even stressing) experience for most people. Latinos may find themselves challenged in more ways than one when having to choose and see an “endo” (as people with diabetes like to call them) for the first time."

Read the rest of the article.
I wish I had remembered!!

I just was directed to a site I had actually been in before:
http://vitals.com

it's a doctor-search and rating site that returned 27 matches to my search for endos within 2 miles of my zip code.

VERY nice tool.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service