So in 18 more days it will be 11 years of beong diabetic ( yes ik i was diagnosed in 2002 but it was the begining of the year so i count it as a full year ) any idea on if i should celebrate it?

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Anna, Congratulations!

One thing you could consider is to really appreciate yourself for all you have done to keep yourself healthy--every finger stick, every shot, every time you didn't eat something you might have wanted to, and everything else you've done for your health. It's really something to be proud of!

Enjoy your day today--and that day, too!

Best wishes,

Marty1492

I do the same thing Marty does but I take it one step further. This past January I passed the 18 year mark and decided to crunch some numbers. For me, Id done 18,980 shots over the first 13 years (I've been pumping for 5 years) and about 45,990 finger sticks over the total 18 years. More graphically that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 733 feet of cold sharp steel I've shoved into my body in the name of trying to stay healthy.

Having seen those numbers I celebrate by doing something I might not be able to do if my complications were worse. I go for a stroll and enjoy being outside. I might take in some beautiful sights that I might miss if my vision went. In other words, I celebrate what I have and pat myself on the back for doing as well as I have with this challenging ogre that is never far away.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service