I got a presciption from my primary doctor for dexcom CGM 7+. I stopped by my Rite aid pharmacy yesterday and they said they cant help me to get that. I did a bit of research and it looks like i have to get in touch with a rep from dexcom. Can anyone help me with the process and what i need to avoid. Pls include any other good info for a novice.
Thanks
Olu

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Pete, you encourage me so much, . I will reseerch one of the pumps and ask thm to get in touch with my doc. ia m suprised the dex people dont make pump!
my insurer includes a 'best practice' in their coverage language for CGMS - they don't want to cover CGMS unless you are on a pump already. so watch out for that when investigating your coverage
that's a dilema now,. I ve just sent my prescription and all paperwork to the dex people, today!. what do u think could be a better route for me?
oh it may not not be necessary for you but if you have access to your insurer through their website, they probably have their medical policies available online and you can check the coverage language
I'd follow your docs recommendations on what it takes to get the pump. It's usually something like testing 4x per day and having an A1c > 7.0. If you're already doing that, or you do it and the doc still has reservations, then maybe look for a new doc:)

The one angle you can play up on the CGM, if you want that first, is if you don't feel symptoms when you are low. Most insurance companies that cover cgm will cover it in that situation, though you may have to document that to some extent. Even if it seems pointless to test when you know you are low, do it anyway so you have a record of how often you're going low.

It wouldn't hurt to get all of the paperwork done at once, but actually staring both at the same time would probably be overwhelming for anyone but a computer genius! So you can get both and start them whenever you feel comfortable.
Thanks...
Are you taking insulin ??? How many times do you check your BG a day??? If on insulin how many shots a day ????

I was taking Lantis and Humolog ,Check BG 5 to 10 times a day, 6 to 8 shots a day .

No problem getting the Animas One Tuoch Ping Insulin Pump

Didn't get a Dexcom but was approved. Waiting for the combo Ping and Dexcom
Yes I am on Insulin.
Average of 4 times check of BG/day
4 Insulin shots/day both lantis and Humolog
you take lantus four times a day?
Fear not. The Dexcom reps are highly motivated to get you a CGM and to get it paid for. They have people who will work with you whose primary job is to get authorization from your insurance company to pay for all or part of the CGM. If your insurer refuse you either appeal or pay out of pocket.

The Dexcom people will guide you through the whole process.

Terry

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service