We are on the verge of breaking the 20,000 member mark just passed 20,000 members on TuDiabetes! It's been a little over four years since we started on this beautiful journey... yet it seems like it was yesterday.

One of the most special moments in the history of the community was the Word In Your Hand project, which first took place in the second half od 2007.

A few weeks ago, we received a very special gift from Marie B, one of our admins, who put in a ton of time to creating the amazing Word In Your Hand quilt you see below (for those of you attending the Friends For Life conference in Florida next month, it will be exhibited there).

Today, as I look back, I wonder once more: what is your word? What word best describes what diabetes has meant to you? Or perhaps you'd rather share a word that describes what TuDiabetes has meant for you?

Tags: 20000, WIYH, members, milestone, quilt

Views: 159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think "mirror" is a great one, Kathy! It reinforces the fact that we're not alone in our struggles.
I love the quilt. My daughter was diagnosed at 4 years old she is now six. If you would've asked me then my word would've been overwhelmed! Now my word is inspired. My daughter inspires me everyday to be a better person. She deals with this disease like it's nobody's business.(no I'm not proud at all)
CHANGED!
LIFELINE. That is what TuDiabetes is for me. Whether I need answers to the mundane questions related to D management or support in dealing with the emotional side of D, this is now the first place I come to for help. Having so many other PWD available to answer questions or offer support is invaluable.
Diabetes: Suck
TuD: encouragement
Diabetes: Distraction... no matter what, it seems to meddle in everything that I try to do. It doesn't stop me, but is always involved somehow.

Tu: Tolerance.... it may seem like a weak word at first, but it applies in more ways than one. The support here helps me to tolerate, and live with the constant distraction of diabetes. Also, the community here doesn't judge (you can't do this because...) and doesn't make awkward accommodations ("look! I made a 'special' dessert just for you: sugar-free Jello! Aren't I wonderful?"). We just understand, accept, advise, and at times we agree to disagree. We are tolerant of each other without being patronizing or judgmental.
My word would be "Life". It has taught me about life. It affects my life. It is my life.
WISDOM I KNEW NOTHING THIS SITE GAVE ME A COLLEGE EDUCATION!!!
my word would be: support
POWER!

Congrats, Manny! This is an awesome milestone!
Love
Trying!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service