Dear All,

I was watching a program about a potential Sun Storm that will hit earth by 2012 or 2013. The good news is that it will not be hot flames that will burn us, its something that we will not see even. Its a huge power of electro-magnatic field that will hit earth. The report said that all electrical items will stop working.

Should we worry as pump users !

What about you, what do you think. Is our pumps going to still work if this happen or no. If no electricity, what about keeping our insulin cold !

would love to hear comments ..

Have a nice day

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Small electric devices will continue to work in a sun storm. The IIS is not shielded very well against particles from the sun. Still they can use ordinary computers and cameras there despite the fact that astronauts sometimes see the discharge of energetic particles in their eyeball. The people on the IIS have an evacuation plan when the sun storm will be massive. Power grids on earth could be overloaded temporarily. With spare batteries for pump and meter for one or two days without power everything will be fine. The insulin will not get bad from being on room temperatures for a short period of time. The main risk is that the satellites for TV and communication will get damaged. It is more a matter of money than life and death. Perhaps we will see the most spectacular Aurora Borealis since 1859 and the heaven will appear like Caspar David Friedrich painted it:

There are certainly people running around about the sky falling (http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/04jun_swef/), however I would suggest to you that the outages are most likely to be things like communication. Additional radiation, while increased, will likely be well tolerated by your pump. If you really are freaked about radiation disrupting your pump, you should "never" take an airplane, the radiation levels at altitude are markedly higher than on earth.

In general, electronics today are more more resistant to radiation than they have been in the past, and pumps are tested to make sure that they do not fail in these anticipated radiation environments.
Thanks alot dear for your reply .. In fact what i read is that all machines with transmitters will stop. Also blutooth enabled devices will be effected. Our pump has both. Would it still be effected !! Plus what kind of arraingement shall we take as an emergency .. Shall we keepextra batteries or wrap the device or what !! Im just curious to know :)
Im curious to know if youve ever had a pump suddenly stop working? I think it would be just the same. Honestly, Its happened to me 1-2 times(Im sure to others as well), but when it did... I drove home. Got some needles and started up the old pre pump regiment. Minimed was only 30miles from me at that time, so I had a new pump in a day or two.

I suspect as we PWD have adapt to different requirements for food intake, exercise needs, and the new waves of therapy, that we can surely adapt to a pump stoping for a few days.
Dang! Thats gonna suck. Right over my Christmas holiday week off.... BANG! my DNA falls apart.
OMG. Please don't start running around with foil hats. Look, if you are worried about your pump, here is what you do. Get a box of syringes and some basal and bolus insulin. Keep it ready in case your pump fails. In fact, as a pump user, you should always realize your pump can fail from some act of G*d. If it does, you need to deal with it. So be like a boy scout, always have a backup plan.

ps. And I am kidding about the foil hat, it won't help.
So I should toss the hat??? =^D

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service