February's 2nd question for consideration (and blogging, and discussion, and videos...) is:

We talk often about how our loved-ones support us around diabetes, but not about how we support them.  Being a "type 3" is hard work!  How do you support the members of your personal diabetes support team?  Do you ask how your diabetes is affecting them?  What things can we do to make their support role easier for them to maintain?

Write your thoughts below, or write a blog and post the link in the discussion feed below!

Tags: husband, loved-ones, support, type-3, wife

Views: 469

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not sure what you mean by a support system. For the most part, I live alone and live alone, although I do have a Significant Other, who generally blames the problems between us to diabetes. I do have a close friend who is also diabetic, but lives nearly 250 miles away. If I don't take care of things myself, it doesn't get done, and if I am not motivated or inspired, nothing good happens to me. I am my own support system, and have learned to live that way.

Having said all of that, I am grateful beyond words for this website and all the posters in this forum. It seems as if every day when I check the website, I learn something, I am able to comment on a topic, or I am inspired by what someone said. thanks, all of you! :)

Brian, it sounds like you're doing just fine. If you're handling everything by yourself, then rather than pay someone back, pay it forward... through channels like this site. There are plenty of people who get their encouragement online rather than from their families.

Like Scott E said, Brian - pay it forward - we owe it both to ourselves and others!!

Mt nephew Tom is my best support system. Even though he lives 1 1/2 hours away he comes. He comes every weekend. My cousin Russm85,kives with me and we support each other. Russ in bad shape this morning. Tom is on his way. Then my friends here support me every day as I do them. By the way,Russ is not diabetic. Heart and other problems. Thank God he sees the doctor this morning.I do not drive. Tom will. Sunday,at church,the end of the sermon....Love and Help one another no matter who it is. Reed,the Seagator

I flunked Typing 101 and at age 84 I do not plan to take lessons so excuse my errors.

We are new at this. We had a bad episode a could weeks back. To me two people to tell me that his overreaction had more to do than with how much test strips cost. still not sure what that is and he isn't the type to be that direct if I asked him. But it still makes me ponder. We may be a reminder of their own mortality, their own potential to get chronical sick.

Nancy

My support system is my husband, Jim. We were married 33 years when I was dx'ed with T-1 D. We were empty nesters by that time. Both of our kids live out of state. He took the D, education classes when I was dx'ed right along with me. He can tell that I have a LOW before I can, and gets me to take something to raise my BS. I don't know what I would do without him. He also helps me a great deal with other medical conditions that I have. I support him by not being grumpy when I feel like cr*p from a high BS. I can't control the grumpiness when I have low, actually it is more than grumpiness, it is zoneing out.
I also encourage him to spend time with his "man" friends in a non-D environment. We basically support each other to live healthy.

I have found the best way to support my support system, is to make sure I feed her (Honest Sharon I'm joking).

He does support me in a lot of ways, mostly being understanding with me and thanking me for what I do for him. Greatful he feeds me by making enough money that we can eat after taxes, utility bills, and all. Even takes me out to dinner sometimes to my favorite restaurant, Hooters. I support him, and he supported me with going through the crazies of menopause. Love you Jonathan! He has always says he knows I love him because I save his butt when he has had serious low blood sugars even though he has some life insurance. I think he is worth it.

Having a wife whose favorite restaurant is Hooters is reason enough for him to feel blessed! :)
[Ok, maybe blessed is not the right word to use in the same sentence as Hooters]

@Scott E.....I don't know, but I think "blessed" is the very word I was looking for when I read her comment:) I'm laughing! I also chuckle when I read her screen name.

My support system is more like "just tell me what to do"...They are involved from a distance, like if I need money for medicine they will help. I think because I have been so independent my entire life no one looks at me like someone who needs help so they do not take the energy to pay attention. They try to understand but it doesnt stick, I always have to remind them of things like I eat skittles with a low not take insulin. Or even just reminded them I take insulin, they are the worst support system, lol...Its so bad that I give everyone one job, if I get sick or pass out just call 911....

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service