Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But for someone with normal carbohydrate metabolism and athlete's lifestyle, that actually looks like a really varied and healthy diet...
Since you need at least 20 grams to cover 40 minutes of cycling (probably more) and these people bike all day, you have no choice but to consume the carbs for energy or risk lows. These extreme athletes get to eat a lot of carbs!
Wow but still pales to Michael Phelps http://www.dietsinreview.com/diets/michael-phelps-diet/.
Knew a Ultra Marathon runner who did a 24 hour run. He ate like 7 large pizzas during the 24 hour period. Yuck
It would be interesting to hook them up to a CGM and see what their blood sugar did. I suspect a normal metabolism and a physically demanding lifestyle handles this just fine, plus most of the extra carbs are consumed during the competition. I suspect a lot of people get in trouble as their lifestyle gradually becomes more sedentary but they don't adjust their diet.
SI had an article not too long ago about D1 football lineman...who don't go onto the NFL. They get the "benefit" of training to bulk up, eating 4x fried chickens/ day and all that but then they're done and may not get a lot of support at the transition to normal lifestyle and activity level.

I'm not 100% sure if one actually needs a ton of carbs to exercise as much as one needs regular consumption of quick acting carbs during the activity? All (3) of my 1/2 marathons were around 2 hours and, while I was not "world class", in terms of the input/ output equations, I'm not sure a pro is going to gain a whole lot more "burnoff" by going twice as fast as I do? I skip dinner the night before (portapottyphobia, not "phobia" as much as gross out but I dunno the medical term...) and have had a light breakfast, generally eggs and a piece of toast, which is pretty much what I eat every day.
Here's an article about Swedish triathlete Jonas Colting who has had success with low carb high fat.The article mentions Michael Phelps specifically in regards to athletes who eat high carb having to change when their competition days are over.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service