Can you name some famous people with diabetes? I know a few: Mary Tyler Moore (of course), Bret Michaels... They don't have to be movie stars, maybe sports figures, authors, musicians, singers, NASCAR...?

Who was the actress that played on Designing Women with the blond hair? She too has diabetes.

Tags: Diabetics, Famous

Views: 3590

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with you. I was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 28, and my father was diagnosed at age 33. I have always considered myself lucky for the simple fact that I had time to enjoy my childhood and adolescence. I am reminded of this every time I see the young faces on this website and elsewhere that the gravity of a disease like this has to weigh upon a child. It's very hard to see and hear. I hope a cure happens soon.
Damon Dash - Is type 1. Founder of Rocawear and Roca fella records with Jay Z.
I just met Canadian Country Singer George Canyon , living with type 1 diabetes well over 20 years and last month Scott Dunton , Pro Surfer from Hawaii., type 1 diabetes; I believe for 8 years .Both wear insulin pumps ...both men great with the younger audience ...very empowering .
Can't believe how long it took anyone to mention Sir Steve Redgrave on this thread! 5 gold medals, dudes, kind of like Michael Phelps - only Steve won the same race several times over 20 years, rather than the same race several times at one Olympics... ;-)

What this thread has taught me above all else is not so much that there are plenty of diabetic role models (though there are); more that there are lots of people who are very famous in America but of whom I, a poor Brit, have never heard.

I wish there were more famous Type 2's. There are a couple of US football people, including Kendall Simmons and Joe Gibbs, plus Delta Burke, baseball pitcher David Wells, and Andrew Lloyd Webber. The sports guys are particularly interesting as they were diagnosed young. I'd also like to hear about more diabetic businesspeople.

p.s. did we also get Spencer Tracy, Ray Kroc (of McDonald's fame - a diabetic businessperson), Fiorello LaGuardia and outgoing chief of the Evil Empire, Mikhail Gorbachev?
Jean Smart
NICK JONAS!!!!!

and me ; )
Nick who? ;-)
Jay Cutler The Broncos Quaterback
And he's using the OmniPod pump too. Who says pumps aren't durable?!?!?!? LOL
Plays for Chicago now
I don't know if this was mentioned but the youngest Jonas brother has type 1
I just googled "celebrities with diabetes" and there is a slew of them who do. Jack Benny, Nell Carter (who died of complications from her diabetes).

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service