Hello,

Just a quick brief of my condition. Diagnosed on Oct. 2007 with a fasting BG of 210 and first started on a classic diabetic diet and Glucophage, after two months first HbA1c was 6.3, then discovered low carbing and go on with Low Carb diets. Two months later HbA1c is 5.7. :-)

GAD antibodies are flying in the air (lab could not detect it, just wrote >30), other antibodies are slightly positive. So a classic LADA condition. Also my mom and grandmom are Type 1's diagnosed at ages 30-40. (No LADA was known at those times) I have many other autoimmune diseases such as vitiligo, hyperthroid, pernicuous anemia...

My biggest problem with Low Carbing (or maybe sth else) is weight loss. I loose like 4-5kg (11pounds) in two months time.

I have talked with my endo and he said Low Carbing is good if I can manage my BG levels in normal range but weight loss is not acceptable. So we decided to start insulin. So that I'll be more free to eat and maybe gain weight. His first idea was to start Lantus as basal.

Although I have read many, I really cannot understand whether to start with Basal, or Bolus or both. I'll be glad to hear your ideas, recommendations and experiences.

Thanks.

Ozgur, from Ankara-Turkey

Views: 432

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mandy, that was great info. At least I know that I wont follow your footsteps for DKA. :-)

Thanks again. Tomorrow I"ll start insulin and shall see what will happen.
Thanks Mandy,

One small question? Do you gain weight with basal insulin? I lost very much. I'm like 170cm and 59kg. (i.e. 5feet 7inches and 130 pounds) and I need to gain at least 5-6kg to look OK. I was 73 kg (165 pounds)
Insulin will help you gain weight, but you also need to eat more! Carbohydrate is readily stored as fat, but you probably lost a lot of muscle due to inadequate insulin. And the only way to build muscle is with resistance exercises. Join a gym and get a trainer to work out a muscle-building program for you. I had success with this, but only after I started having a protein shake after workouts. Building muscle is definitely worth it, IMO. In addition to looking and feeling better than excess fat, increased muscle mass also improves insulin sensitivity. It makes balancing insulin requirements and what you inject a lot easier. Good luck with it!
Ozgur, I was diagnosed with Type 1 ( LADA ) almost 2 years ago and was placed on insulin right away ( Novolog and Levemir ). Are you averse to taking insulin? What is the reason? Insulin and eating the right amount of carb has been the key to keeping my A1C under 6 ( I started at 8.2 ). Low carb has no meaning to me. Low, high etc is relative to some "medium". I need 1500 calories a day to maintain my weight but obviously you need more.
Thank you Khurt,

I"ll be at the hospital tomorrow and start insulin. ;-)
I stated on Levemir basal today! My fasting had crept up to over 100, up from high 70s at diagnosis. My endo recommended 2-4 units to start so I am trying 3. I am excited about this and will keep you posted on the results. I am hoping to get the dosage right to bring my fasting BG back to normal (around 80) and to allow me to eat small snacks (10g or so) without a spike. I also use 3-4 units of Novolog or Novolin regular before meals.
I had an exciting day yesterday. I started with 3U Levemir in the AM and had my usual breakfast- strawberries, nuts and yogurt. I did 4U regular 45 minutes before eating. Two hours later I was at 60. I over corrected and half an hour later was at 150 and an hour after that back to 60. Same thing happened at lunch even though I took 2U Novolog instead of 4 of regular. By dinner, I was back to a more even keel. Woke up this morning with fasting at 109, which is higher than usual.
Today was much better: 3 U Levemir and 3 U Novolog at breakfast and I stayed between 115 and 90. Fasting of 88 before lunch so no insulin and my usual raw food salad which does include an apple. Without insulin my BG was 100 at an hour, 90 at 2 hours and 84 at 3 hours. Had 1/2 an orange for a snack and BG is 102 at 45 minutes which is the peak for me. Looks like the basal is allowing me to eat a small lowish-carb snack or meal without adding any more insulin and getting completely normal BG. I'll try one more night to see what my fasting does and then I may try splitting the dose and doing 2 in the AM and 2 in the PM to see if that brings the morning level down.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service