Should 2 people with diabetes date and marry?I recently overheard a conversion in the waiting room at my endo's office which first made me angry and then made me think. A teenage girl commented on how cute a boy was in the waiting room. The mother's comment was, "Honey, this is not the place to pick up boys. The last thing you should do is marry another diabetic."

It instantly made me angry, and I can't quit explain why. Was she implying that someone with diabetes was less than worthy? I know the risk of children becoming diabetic is higher, but is that enough of a reason? No one understands better what it is like than another person with the disease. And there is no guarantee 2 people with no history, won't have a child who develops diabetes. My parents had no history. Not to mention with diabetes quickly on the rise, soon it will be hard to find someone who's family has not been touched by this illness.

But I think it made me upset, because it made me think about my own dating life. Will someone question whether or not to commit to me, because of all the possible complications associated with it or the constant working around shots or low blood sugars? I mean if you love someone, you love the whole person without exception I hope.

What do you think?

Tags: dating, diabetes, marriage

Views: 1039

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh my, this post has definitely stirred up good opinions. I am not sure what I would have said if I was in the waiting room. Probably, I would have looked in dismay and realized afterwards I gave the look since I would have been in amazement by the comment.

Love does conquer all :)

Then again I must also agree with the statement that it takes a diabetic to understand a diabetic.

I am lucky that my husband tries to understand and he is supportive, but there have been times when I 've gone too low from exercising or too high because of bad choices at family outings (oops of course!) and he becomes frustrated because my sugar should always stay normal. Typically it does since I have the pump and my A1C is 5.6 ... he sees me managing everything, but he doesn't quite get it all either & then worries more.

As already noted, we all have different challenges in our lives and need to try to surround ourselves with positive friends/family. That meaning anyone with a heart who could be diabetic, have cancer, is depressed, yada, yada :)
I agree as it always seems easier to someone who has not walked a mile in the person in a diabetics shoes.
I have lived with Type 1 for about 30 years and I am now 40. The disease I compare to the most chronic and not plainly visible which would be alcoholism.

The strains of diabetes may not seem apparent at the surface but rear their head in time. I only speak for myself so please take no offense, but until I went to The Joslin Center and on this online community no one has a clue. The battles of this disease all go hand and hand with your control from depression, weight and trying to not stand out especially if you are the shy quiet type.

The only issue I would ever see as a problem is if being young and the social effects not really being educated about diabetes. Here is a story that the Psychiatrist told at a Hypoglycemic Awareness seminar. He told of a young couple that met during their 4 day stay at the Do-It program. They eventually got married and here is the part of the story that is the bummer. While enjoying their time on their honeymoon they had a few drinks and both slipped into insulin shock and died.

This is the part that I always question. Does it matter that both partners are diabetic? The answer is "no" but do they understand and take the precautions in being diabetics. Had this couple paid attention to the dangers of alcohol and diabetes by notifying the ships doctor or staff, carrying glucagon or not drinking as much.

I say the more you know the better, but more sympathy and understanding from the another insulin challenged partner is a comfort, but you both should be proactive in your understanding of each other and the disease.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service