I was told by the nurse at my PCP's office to keep my Lantus pens and Hummalog pens refrigerated at all times; however, the package inserts with both says to only refrigerate "unopened" pens and keep the pens in use at room temp or below 85degrees (F) and to also take new pens out of refrigeration a few hours before using. I do use an ice pack if I know I will be carrying my pens in temps above 75.
I have been following the package directions because the cold insulin often burned when I injected it. I haven't had any problems keeping my pens at room temp but I do sometimes worry that it might go bad. If you use pens, how do you store them?

Tags: Hummalog, Insulin, Lantus, pens, refrigeration

Views: 4022

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't use pens but I keep my current bottle of humulog in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom and I haven't had any problems yet.
i don't use pens either but i have always kept my unopened bottles of insulin in the fridge. when i pull one out to use, i put it in my medicine cabinet until i finish it, throw it away, and pull a new one out of the fridge. i have never had a problem doing that.. i've done it that way for almost 20 years now. :)
If insulin is kept in the fridge unopened how long will it last? I admit I like to keep extra on hand but don't want it to expire on us.
I refrigerate my Novolog pens and they last 2 months (I use tiny doses). I'm refrigerating a Levemir pen now and am curious how long I can make it last. I've been using it a month and it is still going strong.

The manufacturers want you to buy more insulin so of course they tell you to keep it warm. That kills it by the end of the month!

I have killed novolog pens in the past carrying them around in my purse. I'm not sure if it is the heat or the bouncing around. Both are bad for insulin.
When I used pens, I kept my long acting insulin pen in the fridge, and my rapid acting insulin in my purse. After all, I wasn't about to run home to take a shot during working lunch hours and if I went out for dinners.

Insulin lasts for about a month as long as you don't freeze it or let it get 'cooked' like I did one time when I left my purse in a hot car for a hour! So if you want to keep your humalog at room temperature, go for it. Just toss it after 27 days and put in a new cartridge. I used to go through a whole cartridge easily, so it wasn't a problem.

You might want to check out "Frio" packs - they work great for keeping your insulin or insulin pen cool in hot temperatures. www.Frio.com.
My son is fairly new dx'd and we was told to leave opened Novalog and Lantus at room temp.
They told us that cold insulin stings. But in doing this we do end up wasting alot of insulin as once it is opened and left at room temp we were told to dispose after 30 days. We do store unopened in the fridge.
But after thinking about it I'm not sure why we don't at least leave the Lantus in the fridge and bring only what he uses nightly to room temp. We use vials at the moment. If we do this how long would the Lantus last?
Yes, the cold insulin does sting! When I was first put on insulin in Feb, I was given samples with no package inserts and the nurse said to keep it cold, either in the refrigerator or in a small cooler with an ice pack when away from home. When I got my prescription filled and was glancing at the insert I noticed it said not to refrigerate opened pens. I keep them at room temp now and no more stinging! I also usually finish both by the 28th day.
I'm still learning and trying to get all of this figured out :-)

Thanks everyone for your advice and info!
I never even thought about getting the cartridges and drawing from them. That is an excellent idea. We are wasting alot on insulin. Sometimes as much as a half bottle at the end of 30 days. We do have insurance that picks up most of the cost but any little bit of money we can save...
Renaee,

I draw from pens with a syringe because I use such small doses, but a the cartridges and pens are sold in packs of 5 and are MUCH more expensive than a couple vials. I have insurance, but it won't pay for either pens or syringe without an appeal from my doctor. For now, the doctor has been giving me samples, since the office staff hate doing the appeals and she has a lot of samples. I can make one 30 ml pen last two months.
The reason for open bottle to keep at room temp is to keep insulin particle separate. When you refrigerate insulin particle clumps together and for the same dose you might get lower sugar from refrigerated insulin than insulin from room temp.
I use pens (for now -- my pump was just shipped today and I expect to get it in about 5 days)...I keep new pens in the fridge, but once I use them I keep them at room temperature.

Incidentally, I was in the hospital last week and they insisted on giving me their insulin -- their pens actually have stickers that say DO NOT REFRIGERATE.
i leave unopened pen cartridges in the fridge, once i pop a cartridge in a pen, i carry it with me, or as in the case of my lantus, it is in the medicine cabinet. i use both my lantus and novolog within the time limit and have never had it go bad on me. it all depends on how much you use. since i use 24 units of lantus a night, and am a 1/10 ratio for the novolog, it doesn't last long in the pens!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service