I was diagnosed with type one in May.I have been on insulin for a couple weeks now,and everything I read says that a fasting BG of under 120 and a post meal BG of under 180 is acceptable.I noticed someone in the forum said BG should stay 90-130.Since I've been on insulin I've done pretty well at staying in under 120,under 180 range.Are those levels acceptable,or should I be trying to stay lower?I don't go back to my doctor until the 10th.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!I am new to all of this,and trying to educate myself as best I can.
Thanks,
Matthew

Views: 21

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ey Matt !

i would like to commend you for doin good even in just a few weeks, i hope you keep it up..I think everybody said it all, just wanna say, be careful for the lows.. especially that you are on an insulin, i know how hard it is to keep our BS in the levels that we want it to be, theres a lot of factors that will make it high, not just foods..

I think your endo can help you what would be a safe range for you.. but like they say, the books says different things, what is safe for you may not be for me.. i tried to stay at 90-120 coz if i go in the 80's , im starting to feel the signs of hypos..

youre doin good for a newly diagnosed... keep it up..
Well today was not a good day (numbers wise) but felt good because I had no lows. Woke up at 180 for whatever reason I do not know, corrected to a 129, then I ate breakfast and stayed high cause I did not listen to my advise about bolusing 15 minutes before you eat and two hours later was at 149, I did not correct as lately I bottom out on corrections, but then tested again for lunch and I was 102 (without correction, but busy at work). Two hours later was at 179 and corrected with .8 U and got home two hours later at 102, so I was happy because no lows and no feeling like crapola, but I ran a bit high all day. Sometimes you gotta go with how you feel and what is going on during the day.
In the beginning (which was 4 months ago for me), I think the biggest difficulty is trying to keep your head above water (so much info!) and learning about your body without getting too down about being new type 1. The danger of high blood sugars is long-term, so its more important (I think) that you build good foundations now, learn about your body, and look after your mental health!

Sometimes the standards can be very high here at tudiabetes! Everyone is really awesome and really knowledgeable, and great sources of info. The tighter the better, of course, but not at the expense of your ability to congratulate yourself on a job well done. Some of the people here at tudiabetes are the best of the best diabetics at looking after themselves and managing their glucose levels-- I think most of the diabetic world exerts much much poorer control than many of the people I've met on this forum. 90 - 130 is a great blood sugar, but its something to aspire to when you have the time and have learned enough about yourself to achieve it. The ADA requirements are so flexible because so many people don't even manage that much (although you really should, of course)!

Best of luck!
I COMPLETELY agree with Laura!

This is a great community because there are lots of people with excellent control that we can learn from! But it is SO important to try to get better control with out driving yourself crazy!! I started to get MAD at myself whenever I went above 140 and feel like I am a "bad diabetic".

70-120 is my GOAL, but I don't achieve that MOST days. Good luck!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service