All martial arts (by definition) have physical contact between practice partners at some point in their training (ie increasing levels determined by skill/rank). There are hundreds of different arts eg Judo, Karate, Kung-Fu Wu-Shu, Tae Kwan Do, Tai Chi Ch'uan, Aikido, Ba Gwa Cheng, Hwrang Do, Kenjutsu, Hsing-Yi, AikiJujitsu, etc., etc.

Each has a particular technical base, certain "tools" fundamentally which they prefer to use. Some arts strike (punch, kick), some grapple, others "wrestle", some pin. Heavy physical contact is likely at some juncture it is safe to assume.

My particular question, are PUMPS compatable to arts where heavy physical contact is certain to occur (ie grappling, throwing, "submissions")?

Any other martial artists (with some diabetes experience: ) in membership???

Tags: MMA, aikido, arnis, arts, boxing, eskrima, internal, judo, karate, kick, More…muay, neijia, pump, savate, soo, taekwando, tai-chi, tangsoo, thai, wrestling

Views: 685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Stuart,
Welcome to our community. I like your name. It is the same spelling I gave my son. I cannot personally answer your question, but I can tell you what my son has said about using the pump. He is very much into body building, has won some titles, playing football and keeping extremely fit. He will not accept the pump because of the physical activity he does. He says he doesn't want something taped to him or hanging on him when he is working out. He wants freedom of movement and keeps very tight control of his diabetes with MDI. For him, diabetes is a non issue. He says it is just something that reminds him each day to take extremely good care of his health.
I think each person has to think about what is acceptable to them. The pump is right for some and not for others. I personally choose to keep my MDI's because I want my grandkids up and down in my arms and on my lap as often as possible. I don't want anything to get in the way of that or have to be careful because of it and miss holding one of my babies. I wish I could be of more help. If you want me to try to contact my son, just let me know.
Hello Sandra:

Any word from your son?

Stuart
Hello Judith

Thank you for the compliment...... I look forward to hearing.
Hello Judith:

Any word on the young activist?

Stuart
Hello.

I do martial Arts with my boyfriend.
Hello Rebekah:

That could give a whole new meaning to the word "fight".... (Stuart's wife also a martial artist of nearly 30 years, remembering his bruises when they "fought" either as a couple or as practice partners... all depending where you put the "I" in the word (ie mart-I-al or mar-I-tal.)

Stuart
Hi my name is Graham I am from South Africa I am 22 years old and Have been doing Karate for 16 years and an Instructor for 7. I have been a Diabetic for 6 years now and I would like to be in contact with you. Attached is an article I wrote for a local Diabetic website in South Africa, about Diabetes , Karate and Me. Hope to hear from you!
Attachments:
Hello Graham:

My computer system will not open the link (for reasons I cannot determine). I have the latest version of Word, not nothing I attempted worked. Regardless lets keep attempting this until we do succeed!

I would enjoy speaking with you as well. I've got more than a little "seniority" on you diabetes wise but are in similar neighborhoods in terms of martial arts study more or less.

Stuart
Hello Graham:

Hopefully we can connect via PM or by some method. Lets keep attempting it until we succeed.

Stuart
Best of luck !
Hello Michael:

Thank you for participating. Do you study a particular art/practice yourself?

Stuart
Hello Kate:

Excellent, another person to chat with : ). Kenpo, Mitose's ? Lots of flavors of that particular art...Lets dance.

My art is classical/fundamentally Okinawan (ie kata) based. Regardless of the fact we do NOT go full contact often the limited degree of free sparring would get my pump kicked around the room like a blessed shuriken! By my kicking or theirs...

Controlled but with meaningful weight regardless. Line drills, simple partner exercises, application work...

I would clip it to my canvas jacket, my belt, my tee shirt (as an experiment) or on the back of the pants. No place I could put it would not be blasted/tugged/ripped out Like most arts we do have physical contact to varying degrees and intensities depending on the exercise.

I could never make it work and to add insult to injury got dangerous DKA for disconnecting for even an hour. More times wearing it than I had in the entire 30 years previously??? The infusion tubing would get ripped off/tangled during grappling exercises

Looking forward to hearing how you coped/place yours...
Stuart

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service