Ok, we're going to have a Boboli thin crust pizza tonight, and I'm looking at the "nutrition facts" to see how carbs it has. The label says it has five servings, and each 1/5 of the pizza is 28 grams. Will you please tell me who can cut up a pizza into five equal pieces? Just tell me how many carb are in the whole thing, please! The other one that gets me is Campbell's soups - you gotta be kidding me that those little cans are 2 1/2 servings!

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amen on the Pizza nutrition facts! I've never figured out why anyone would cut a pizza into odd numbered slices. It's way easier to do an even number.

When I look at a label like that I say a silent prayer of thanks to my mom who taught me how to do fractions!

I think Nutrition labels should be required to use a serving size that a real person would actually eat. 1/2 cup of icecream? I don't know anyone who eats 1/2 cup.
I agree. I was complaining just last night about Weight Watchers recipes calling for fractions of a recipe. There are two of us. I have to cut this minestrone into 4 quarters. Funny, but when you slice a soup, nothing happens. *laughs* Couldn't they just say a cup and a half? Is it so hard? Or weight by volume? Anything that doesn't make me have to dirty four equal sized bowls and eyeball it so that I know I'm getting just the right amount! Then I have to get out the storage bowls so that I can refrigerate it in pre-measured portions.

Tonight, it's 1/8th of a low-fat lasagna. "@?$%?@$!"
That is so aggravating! Who on earth decides on this stuff? It can't possibly be anyone who actually has to measure their food. I bought some frozen pizza that was 3 servings. I ended up multiplying the carbs by 3, then dividing that total by 2, and cut the pizza in half. I think I can usually mange by doing something like that, but I could do without the extra work. There's enough work already!
I kn o ow! All smaller frozen pizzas are 3 servings? Sheesh. I do the same math as you. Now what about those slivers I sneak as I am cleaning up?
here's another good one. I love these rice crunch crackers by Kame. especially the wasabi flavor. The label on the sesame ones says one serving is 19 crackers, 26 grams. Now these are not tiny crackers, they are maybe 2 inches across. I'd never eat as many as 19! And besides, 19 being a prime number, you can't divide it by anything. Of course, I just round it out to 20, and divide that. My husband's in the food business, so I like to complain about stuff like this.
Beans....almost always 3.5 servings per can. I actually use a nutritinal scale to wiegh them becuse they are so carb-rich, I don't want to make an error eyeballing or rounding off.
A scale is great for things like beans, pasta, rice, fresh fruit (exactly how big is a "small" apple anyway!?)... I could go on and on. I use it for all these foods as long as the label says how many grams are in a serving. I know some people are reluctant to use a scale because they think it'll be too much trouble, but it saves an incredible amount of guess work.
I've been meaning to get one - any suggestions on which one?
I bought a cheap digital scale for weighing parcel's. Just make sure it is digital and does grams. As for a look up book I use calorie king which was given to me by my DE.
I recommend a food scale with a removable table (mine has a glass top). It is best if it can do ounces and grams (fewer and fewer packages in the US list ounces anymore), and it is handy if it goes up to 10 pounds. You can find one for around $40-$50. I think I got mine at Bed Bath & Beyond, which doesn't have the lowest prices ever.

Of course you can get a cheap postage scale but it is unlikely to use grams, and it is unlikely to be easily washable.
I love this scale!
The Salter brand of scales are nice....I got mine at bed bath and beyond for i think 29.99 and I use it every day!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service