How many times do you use the same lancet?
I might change mine 8 times a year - and that is a big might---

Views: 854

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I must admit.. Since having diabetes for awhile, it does seem like a lot of work to change a lancet every time.. LOL.. But what about those people who reuse because they can't afford new lancets?? Many diabetic support groups are linked with needle exchange programs, so that those who can't afford them can get them..
I don't change mine until they lose the ability to draw blood. I have untold boxes of lancets of every type from any number of studies I had signed up to be a subject for. I've thought about selling them on Ebay. If anybody needs a box or two or three, FOC, shoot me a message.
I change mine at least once a day. I test about 6 to 8 times a day. If I don't, it feels dull to me plus the thought of contamination grosses me out.
I change mine when it starts to hurt. i have had the same box for 2 years and only half gone.
You should have a chat with the manufacturer about this.
residual blood can be a great source of infection, as bacteria can multiply on any residual blood on the lancet tip can then e very dangerous.
you should at least understand 'hygeine' if you are not willing to follow sterile practices.
chat with the manufacturer, or even the supplier
The cost is so low that I take a new lancet daily. In the past I went a very long time before changing.

JB.
What is wrong with the most of you? Aren't you worried about infections? Why would you risk it? Can someone please logically explain this to me?
I only change mine when it starts to hurt. I think the cost of being diabetic is so high if i can save on lancets then i do. I have never had issues with this.
15 years ago when first diagnosed I changed with each prick, when I asked my doctor for a refill prescription he said "wow you went through those quick, did you lose some?" I learned I did not have to change every time. So what do I do now? I don't think I change once a year. When I get a new meter if I like the lancing device I go with that one but I don't get new meters all that often.

I will also say that I don't use alcohol - not on my fingers, not on the insulin bottle, not on the injection site and I lick my finger. I reused needles multiple times and injected through my clothes. When I went on a pump and CGM my educator said I shouldn't worry about using alcohol there either, no real proof of greater infection. No of this is done out of financial burden either. Never had an infection issue. I am not recommending people do this I say to each their own and do what works as long as you are not harming yourself.

I also walk around without shoes in the summer! (I just found out this is a no no)

Maybe today I will change my lancet.
I change my son's twice a day... about 5-6 pokes per lancet
About the same as you! lol....
I use mine for 25 these days. I used to use them a lot longer but went through a *really* nutso phase when I was testing 17-18 times/ day (40 years old, working out twice/ day, teaching Tae Kwon Do classes...yikes...) so my fingers got trashed and I started changing them more regularly.

I used to use syringes until they were dull, one for N and one for R, until the paint wore off. I would put duct tape on the R one b/c nothing beats shooting up with a duct-taped syringe in a bar.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service