How many times do you use the same lancet?
I might change mine 8 times a year - and that is a big might---

Views: 854

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I pretty much just change it once it quits working...i.e. when it gets too dull.
I try to change my lancet once a day, but that is highly unlikely. Whenever I open a new box of strips I will change the lancet as well.
Uh, what? they told me to change it every time. I'm on my second box of 100 and I've only been doing this 3 weeks.
Boy do I have a lot to learn. what about GERMS? what about dull painful lancets? next you guys will be telling me not to use alcohol swab. Who is this Dr. Bernstein, and whats the book?
What about needles?
I just spend $300 buying supplies of needle head for my pens, lancets, testing trips and alcohol swab.
Ha ... when I was on shots I didn't use alcohol swabs half the time. I also did shots through my clothes. I also reused pen needles twice sometimes. Never got an infection.

Now with the pump I use alcohol swabs, as it seems like a site could get more easily infected than an injection.
Jennifer, I thought I was the only one who stabbed myself w/ insulin through my clothes! I hardly ever use alcohol swabs either. Only when I'm showing someone how I test my bloodsugar - then I try to be a "good diabetic". lol
No alcohol either. Most of the books recommend against it, although some CDEs recommend its use still. We just wash hands.
I'm with you Jennifer! I did the exact same thing with the needles! But with a pump. That's different. There is a lancet machine I love called Accu Check MultiClick. Great for govt agencies so I can throw in trash.

I get this crapola lancets and lancet device every month for free. What do I do with it? I actually gave it to a friend of mine that doesn't have alot of money.
I use alcohol swabs for my pump and CGM sites because it removes any skin oil, and then they stick better. It's been proven (can't quote study) that alcohol swabbed on the skin doesn't kill any germs anyway -- apparently they have to be exposed to alcohol for about 20 minutes before they die. There was also a study that said that shooting through the clothes doesn't make any difference either -- there were no infections in the group that shot through their clothes.
Lancets and needles are different to me... I would only re-use a needle if it was an emergency. But lancets... another story ;)

Dr. Bernstein is a diabetes doc and diabetic himself. The book is called Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. He advocates an extremely low-carb diet, primarily, and I've followed it for a couple of months (I've slipped a bit since we moved in May) with very good results. I won't lie, though, it's HARD.

I never used alcohol swabs for anything, either.
I didn't just because it freaked me out. I'm not really worried about infections, but the ones I used bent so easily I was worried they might bend & hurt a lot. Thank heavens for the pump!
Me too! I really never planned on reusing syringes, but they work in a pinch. After about the third or fourth use, though, the needle would start to get painful. I never remember to change my lancets--I really only change them when the finger pricks don't produce much blood. I've never had an infected injection or finger prick site!
I've never used an alcohol swab. (Never told to, either)
I re-use needles for 2 or 3 days or until it hurts.
Germs are everywhere :D Be careful when re-using, I mean... if you drop it in dog poo then that might be time to give it up huh? lol But day to day stuff shouldn't be a big deal if you're washing your hands most of the time and being careful not to drop it in the toilet :D

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service