For Immediate Release
July 14, 2008

Media Contact:
Gina Capone

gcapone1@optonline.net

Diabetic Community Continues Its Fight Against Insurance
Providers for Repeated Denials of Life Saving Device

NEW YORK, NY: July 14, 2008 -- On Tuesday, July 1, Diabetes Talkfest (http://www.diabetestalkfest.com) sponsored the first-ever CGMS Denial Day online rally to raise awareness about how insurance companies are repeatedly denying claims for continuous glucose monitors. http://diabetestalkfest.com/blog/?p=189 . In association with Tudiabetes.com.

Due to the overwhelming positive response to this effort Diabetes Talkfest is launching the CGMS Denial Campaign. The first part of the campaign is an online petition (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/CGMSdenial/) that will be sent to all major health insurance providers. We want to get at least 2000 signatures for the first round of this campaign by November 9, 2008.
"After a recent week-long trial with a CGMS, during which time my blood sugars were significantly better, I was once again denied by my health insurance provider," said Diabetestalkfest.com founder Gina Capone. "This problem isn't going away and neither are we. And this petition is going to let health insurance companies know we are going to continue this fight. We have come together as a community and will continue to raise our voices until we are heard."

The CGMS can be a life saving device for people with diabetes by preventing and reducing complications and alarming users who are no longer sensitive to hypoglycemia of approaching low blood sugars, especially during bed time hours. The device allows people to greatly reduce the number of times they have to check finger sticks, and has the ability to constantly monitor glucose levels by showing trends in blood sugars for people that experience hyperglycemia (high blood sugars). CGMS have been proven to help people with diabetes control their blood sugar levels, and quality of life.

There are currently three Real-Time CGMS manufacturers in the US:

Dexcom, DexCom STS CGM system; Abbott, FreeStyle Navigator®; and Medtronic, Guardian RT CGM system.

For more information please visit: www.diabetestalkfest.com

About Diabetestalkfest.com
Diabetestalkfest.com is the first online diabetes website dedicated to live chats. It was created by Gina Capone and Jon Schlaman, who first met on a diabetes message board in February of 2001.

Over the past six years the site has united thousands of people living with diabetes in its online diabetes chat room and social network DIABETEStalkfest (www.diabetestalkfest.com). The DTF live chats provide members with cutting edge information from leaders in the field of diabetes. Diabetes Talkfest partnered with Tudiabetes.com, a community for people touched by diabetes, in March of 2008.

#

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK I'll sign it then!!! Uph give me sometime to figure this one out!!!!
The CGMS online petition started by Gina Capone is getting close to 1,000 signatures now.

If you haven't signed it, please take a minute to read through the details and help raise awareness about this very important matter:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/CGMSdenial/
Thanks so much for doing this !!!

I too am a long-time Type I diabetic with the strong opinion that CGMS
is *required* for the best health result that is needed to sustain us,
especially as we get older. Moreover, the more that these devices get
used throughout our community, the more that product companies will
invest in making and improving them.

My stand is that allowing health insurance companies to "just say no"
is no longer acceptable.

-Kevin Pammett
http://www.DigitalMediaMagik.com/
I signed and put the info on my blog. Keep up the great work!

Rich
I just signed and forwarded the link to all my friends.
I signed the petition and I would like to hear from anyone who is on Medicare with a supplemental

Insurance plan in MA who has applied for coverage and has been denied or has been approved. I would like to know what supplemental plan that you have. I have the HMO Medicare Blue from BC/BSMA.
I signed the petition and I would like to hear from anyone who is on Medicare with a supplemental

Insurance plan in MA who has applied for coverage and has been denied or has been approved. I would like to know what supplemental plan that you have. I have the HMO Medicare Blue from BC/BSMA.
I signed the petition and I would like to hear from anyone in MA who is a Type 1, on Medicare with a supplemental plan and who has applied for coverage of a CGMS and was either denied or approved. I am on Medicare with the HMO Medicare Blue Advantage Plan. It's a great plan for providing Pumps, Insulin, Test Strips, and Lancets but no CGMS according to BC/BSMA customer service. For the senior citizens on Medicare I think we should lean on our Congressmen to get Medicare to include it in Part B. We could also ask State Legislators to make coverage of The CGMS mandatory in the health insurance plans that everyone in MA MUST HAVE. Any opinions or comments on this strategy?
I have signed the petition. My husband is a Type 1 diabetic and has been using CGMS (Minimed) since February with incredible results. My employer is self funded and follows the Regence BCBS of Oregon plan guidelines. They denied authorization for coverage as experimental. I have appealed once and was denied. I was told I can only appeal one more time unless I can provide new documentation. It has been suggested that I find insurance companies that currently cover CGMS and the criteria they use for coverage as a basis for my appeal. If anyone knows how to get this information or any advice on appeals please let me know. Thanks for all the great information on this website!
I was proud to sign it.

Randy Wood

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service