Are there any foods that a diabetic should NEVER eat???

I'm thinking fried chicken. What are your thoughts???

Views: 1666

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I consider processed breakfast cereal as poisonous:-)

Theoretically I can eat anything. But my meter tells me that the right portion size for some things is about the size and thickness of a postage stamp; bananas, Pavlova and Mud-cake are in that category.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia
Fried chicken works fine for me. The fat balances the breading. I don't do well with oatmeal, to my great dismay. I expect processed breakfast cereal would be even worse. Juice, of any kind, acts like a glucose tolerance test for me, and there are lots of things I can only have in tiny amounts, such as grapes, so it's really not worth it, except when I'm treating a low.
Dito on the juice unless I get the low sugar kind which is way kewl that the stores have it now :) Other than that, I don't eat pasta unless I get the high fiber kind (wheat) since it counter acts the carbs with the fiber. Plus I typically choose Angelhair pasta ...

But most things in moderation I can always have a small amount - a nibblet of course :P
I find fruits to be problematic. Right now my bg is 298. 2 hours ago, when I was 142, I thought I'd have plain yogurt and a peach for breakfast. I bolused for 30 carbs, 15 for the yogurt and 15 for the peach. I guess I'll change my infusion set.

I love fried chicken - especially wings and skin!
It might be the !*#!!! dairy. I don't know about yogurt specifically, but milk is the devil for me. Which combined with cereal, as listed by a few of us above, is about as bad as it gets.
I've never had a problem with lowfat dairy. ok, I just changed my set, so I should be okay for tomorrow's experiment - eat the same thing (it was a perfect peach), and see what happens. I think it was my set. I'm lucky if I can go two days on one now.
Everything is fine in moderation. We just need to be more moderate than most :)
I think...that I love fried chicken. ... =)

I also think that if you are restricting yourself from a food for the rest of your life just because you are diabetic, you need to ease up a little. Granted, there are foods that you probably shouldn't eat on a daily basis, which are usually the foods that affect your blood sugar the most, but hey, you've got to live a little.
All this black and white thinking really gets under my skin, primarily because that's what it was like when I was a kid, and that good food-bad food approach really poisoned my entire approach to eating for a long, long time. My understanding is that some (most?) type 2's do have to limit certain foods, but I think it's really not necessary to entirely eliminate any foods. There are ways to eat the things you like, and moderation and portion control are the key. If there's something that makes managing your BG more challenging and it happens to be something you can live without because you don't care for it a lot, that's one thing. If it's something you really enjoy, you should talk to a nutritionist or your doctor about how to safely incorporate it into your diet. There are already so many rules to live with when you're diabetic, I don't know why people voluntarily impose more on themselves when a little chat with your health care provider, some creative problem solving and willingness to compromise might ultimately let you safely have and do things that make you happy. I know some people are happy with the extra rules, but I think most people are happier if they have a little flexibility built into their nutrition plan. There are multiple ways to do something, and one isn't always better than the others. If you like fried chicken (or whatever else) and want to eat it, at least talk to your RD/CDE about it before you decide you can never have it again.

Examples of how I've adapted to more problematic foods:
Juice: I only drink it if my BG is low. Otherwise, I'm not missing it.
Pizza: I have 1 slice, trying to get the smallest piece of the pie, and thinner crust when given the choice. I eat a nice big salad with it to make up for not eating 2 or 3 pieces.
Most Desserts: Small portions. I try to go for high quality because if it's extra flavorful and rich, I really enjoy a few bites anyway.

Also, if you're working to incorporate smaller portions of 'special' foods, do some research on "mindful eating". It can help you get more enjoyment out of a smaller portion without sacrificing satisfaction. I said it before, but find a good RD that you like, and talk to her!
I agree with you 100%, Lee Ann.

I understand eliminating it if you can't find a way to manage it in the quantity you enjoy, but with moderation, you shouldn't have to complete deny yourself.
Bingo! All of these boards I come onto the people are soooooo restrictive with their diet. As a male my nutritionist put me on a 2,200 calorie/day diet & wants me to eat 60-75 grams of carbs per meal. In fact I told her I like PB&J toast for breakfast and her only concern was that maybe I should add an egg. I had been well under controll on oral meds since 2001 and then 7 months ago they seemed to stop working. So I tried Byetta, great for weight but didn't contol glucose levels at all. So I stopped Byetta & Actos and went on Lantus. It did't work by itself, so I Just added Novalong a month ago. The bolus concept seems to be working well with me, whether I have 40 carbs or 125 carbs at a meal (try hard not to do that). I have lost 35 pounds over last 4 months and if I am not sick (lot of sinus issues which sends me sky high) I am feeling much better. I do think I would like to go on the pump though, because I can't seem to do injections other than stomach and I don't want to ruin that area.
Broken glass and hot coals. That's all I could think of.... :P

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service