I have neuropathy numbing the soles of my feet and causing a great deal of balance problems. Is there anything that can be done to improve the condition? Will it ever go away?

Views: 531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My doctor told me to take Thiamin 500mg x 2 a day. It is also known as B1 vitamin. Thi is known to help with the sensory nerves in the hands and feet. This is something you need to talk to your Dr and do research on though. I have been taking this for 3 years and it has helped alot. Good Luck!
I have neuropathy in my hands (well really my fingers). In addition to a B-complex with vitamin B1, I've started supplementing with 1000 mg of B12. I am on Metformin and it can mess with proper vitamin B12 absorption. Vitamin B12 deficiency is known to cause neuropathy and B12 is thought to have some role in treating diabetic neuropathy (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16008162).
Hi BCS-
just starting to get some "weird sensations" first in the tips of my toes on one foot- Dr. blew me off as "it's not neuropathy if it's not in both feet." fast forward 1 month and i now have numb/tingling/strange sensations in both feet. I am taking glipizide (24 months) and eat a fairly vegetarian diet- after my research will start B complex / B12 TODAY. I see your post was a couple of years ago and am just wondering if you've seen any improvement since 2010 that you attribute to the B vitamins?
I am facing the same issue! i am sorry i don't have an answer but i felt like saying you're not the only one! :3 =)
Fred,

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA), sold as a supplement, can help heal neuropathy. It works by repairing the myelin sheath of nerves. ALA can also lower blood glucose.

With more normal BG, many peripheral neuropathies heal.

A caveat about B vitamins (not B12):

B6 over 200 mg raises BG & impairs nerve function (so does excess Vit C supplementation)
B3 (niacin) over 200 mg can raise BG
B1 over 200 mg can inactivate insulin
Great points Gerri. Here are some things I might add.

I also take ALA. It is recommended that ALA be taken with biotin. Many people swear by a particular form called insulow (http://www.insulow.com/) which you can get at amazon.

Vitamin B3 niacin is also the same as the niacin used in megadoses for cholesterol treatment. And Gerri is right, research shows it can raise your blood sugar. It is prescribed in doses of like 2grams for cholesterol treatment.
Gerri,
Many thanks for the information on neuropathy. I am going to buy ALA today.
Hope it helps. ALA has to be taken in fairly large doses to work. Afraid I don't have the dosage info at the moment.
Hi Fred, we have seen Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) work as well at our diabetes center.

Getting glucose levels back in range will definitely help. We have seen people reverse the pain of neuropathy after getting better control of blood sugar. It does take some time though. but not too sure if you can get feeling back.

If you have numbing, the most important thing that you can do is to check everyday for cuts/ rashes and any injury. I have a relative that burned the underside of his foot and did not know about for 2 days because he did not feel it. He was lucky that it did not get infected.
Thank you for the response. I am currently taking a supplement that contains 25 mg of ALA. What dosage do you recommend?
The "Insulow" brand, which is recommended by Dr. Bernstein, contains 100 mg in a capsule and the recommended dose is 1-2 capsules with each meal (it's supposed to improve insulin sensitivity -- I didn't see any change when using it though).

I'm not sure how much should be taken to treat neuropathy.

One point that I would make though is it is worth buying the more expensive ALA, which is called "R-Alpha Lipoic Acid". It is slower acting, which means your body absorbs a lot more of it. The fast acting ALA seems tempting because it's cheaper, but you will just urinate a lot of it out. My urine has a strange scent when I take ALA (which is like after eating asparagus) and I can tell that the scent is a lot stronger with the fast ALA compared to the R-ALA (which is what is contained in Insulow). So I recommend the Insulow brand or another type of R-ALA.

I have also read studies where high doses of benfotiamine (fat soluble B1) improve neuropathy. Because it is fat soluble you should be careful about not taking too much. I am still taking one a week as a preventative measure.
I just checked and Dr. Bernstein recommends 1800 mg per day (that would be 18 of my tablets!). You may be able to buy 200 mg tablets.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service