I will Start this off and be brief......

I started insulin over 26 years ago. Started on just NPH, then HAD to go on NPH plus regular twice a day......

Last eyar I ahd to go to 3 then 4 shots a day and now on MDI 5+ shots a day but in the best most level control ever. BS wise I feel normal fr the first time since Dx'd...........

I have a collection of complications now, Heart valves, carotid blockages, neuropathy, balance, walking braces and cane and kidney disease with falling kidney function......CKD-3 and getting worse..........

Please..would all new member post an intro so we can all get to know our little family within the Tu family better.

(*&*( GOMER

Views: 606

Replies to This Discussion

Hello everyone ,my name is Alexandra,i`m 25,been a diabetic for 3 year now, recently joined this awesome forum,i find it extremly enlightening.I come from Romania and i suppose i can state that there arent as many national (internet) specialized groups and sites as i had the chance to find internationaly..so yeah,i`m thankful i fond this one.
I`m on Apidra 3 times a day and Lantus for night time and my few days ago A1C is 6 , so i`m proud.
No complications that i know of here..I`m fairly glad i found a group of diabetics on shots, everyone here seems to be using pumps:D
Hi I'm Katherine (aka "Marps") and I've been T1D since 09/23/1998. So, almost 11 years now. I was dx at 14 years old, but showed symptoms at 11. I started on NPH and R, then went to mixed pens, then to Humalog and N, then to Novolog and Lantus, then to pump using Humalog, then to Humalog and Levemir.
It's been crazy.
I like the control better with shots. Is it more aggravating? yes. But, at least this way I'm relying only on myself to get through the day, and not on some mechanical pump which clogs and beeps and pulls and snags on other things.

Maybe I'll go back to the pump later on in life.
I like how you think >:D/body>
Well Michael.........your comment is very very timely.........

A new can of worms has been opened in my case. While some of my complications appear to be from diabetes, I am learning, after being told otherwise for decades, are NOT frm diabetes.

I saw a new eye doc late last summer, he said NO WAY was my diplopia (double vision) had anything to do with diabetes, and that I have a neuro-muscular problem. So far the general concensus but not officially confirmed as yes is MS. My brain MRI of '07 showed multiple bilateral CNS lesions in white matter and more recently a c-spine MRI was done and a couple lesions there as well. For so many many years everything was blamed on mainly diabetes, some on having cancer ('82) adn arthritis. Xrays done last year ruled out arthritis and blood work ruled out Muscular Ddistrophy and probably also ruled out MG. (myastheia gravis).

Last Sept my FamDoc called me for a (long for him) MS talk, said "it fits" and needed to be followed up on. He did a referal to MSU MS clinic and I have a neuro-opthlamologist apt at the MS clinic next week. My diplopia prisms were last updated in 1984 and NEED updating.

The DOTS are beginning to connect and make sense for a change.Learning to seperate what is and what is NOT diabetes related has been a big help. My diabetes is still a little wierd, just not nearly as wierd as it seemed. For example the leg weakness problem; When I fell and tore my shoulder 3 years ago that caused me to loose good control of my diabetes, had a mild case of DKA. Already having muscle weakness problems simply compuded the leg problem, made it worse and took about 18 months to recover my usual leg strength. The MS(?) issue also make sense since the problem was mostly my left leg and not equally both legs.

This year I will be spending a lot more time with NEUROs than my endo............lol
I am trying to learn what and how the (probable for now) MS and diabetes affect each other. One thing is clear, for me its even more important to maintain GOOD diabetes control. IF the MS is confirmed that probably will me even more shots, and not nearly as nice (sorry 4 oxymoron here) as insulin shots. My Fam Doc told me at the MS talk there are meds for MS these days, (kinda new in the past decade) what he did not tell me was the annual cost runs about $15,000 to $23,000/year! And I thought Lantus and Humalog were expensive.......ouch!

GOMER

Hi my name is Jonathan. I have been db for 52 years. I started on injections with needles larger then the darts at your local pub. Switched to a pump 13 years ago and am now back to pens (with very tiny needles). Not to be vulgar but I like pulling down my pants and not have to worry about tubing! Lantus at night Apidra or Humalog as needed.
Hi! I'm Becky. T1, use Apidra and Lantus. vary between 5-15 units before meals, usually 3-4 times daily, and then 25 units Lantus before bed. BGs are actually pretty decent. Never tried syringes, but I do know how to use them. Been diagnosed 4 years, had it longer, happier with my insulin than without it. :)
I have been a diabetic for 20 years, type 2. I have been on insulin for one year. I take 50 units of Levemir at night. I take 20 to 30 units of Novolog before each meal. A1C stays at 7. I enjoy taking insulin. I have gained weight since starting it only because I eat things that I did not eat for 20 years. Solve one problem, cause another problem. I am 52 and retired 3 years ago partly to allow me more control of my diabetes. I was a police officer and sometimes it was difficult to control lows while working the street. I know control is the best thing but it is not always the easy thing to do. Like I explain to my doctor, I can not live on rabbit food alone.
Hi everyone! My name is Timi and I have been living with Diabetes for almost 26 years. I was dx at the age of 10. I am on R and NPH. I have tryed others but always fall back to these two. I bought a pump about 2 years ago, it's still sitting in my closet, thought for a moment that I wanted to be hooked up to one, however I don't like change! I don't have any complications at this time, although anytime I do have a problem, doesn't matter what it is, it's always because I'm a Diabetic! I hate that. I don't see a Dr. like I should I hate having to pay them just to write me an RX so insurance will pay for my insulin. It's not like it's going to go away! LOL
I was diagnosed as T2 in 2002 I was lucky just on oral for a long time. My new doctor said no I am a type 1 really makes me no difference as I am on insulin after all oral med's failed. I currently take 4 injections a day.
Hi! My name is Jen (obviously, haha) I am 27 years old. I was diagnosed Oct 28 2002 as a type 2, Right before my favorite holiday! =/ November 11 2002 I became pregnant, lol, and it was hard for me to do my shots and such I hated needles. Ive tried all the pills, insulin's and back to pills. 2008 a different doctor realized and diagnosed me as Type 1. I struggle with severe depressed and self harm disorder which i fail to do my shots. My sugars are in the 3s,4s, and sometimes 500s. A week and a half ago i finally took control of my issues and began doing my shots. I am now in the 100s and once or twice 200. This morning i was 83!

I use humalog pen and lantus at night!
That is good Jen the sooner you get controll the better as I am sure you already know. good luck as it seems you are doing well so far on this adventure.
Hi, my name is Jessica, I've been T1 for 14 yrs, now 24 y/o. I caurrently take 4-8 shots a day, one lantus and also Humalog whenever I eat. Because I work nights I tend to eat small meals throughout the course of 24 hours which is why I take so many shots some days. I had a huge acceptance problem as a teenager, and refused to check regularly or take my shot as directed. I've gone months without checking my b/s, and went into DKA over 10 times in course of a decade. Though I have serious problems healing from anything from cuts to pnemonia, and often suffer from sometimes grave infections, I have fortunately escaped any of the more common serious diabetes complications. In the past year I have shaped up my control greatly, and am now working to be put on the pump, which I have wanted since I was a kid. I now check 6-8 times a day, follow a insulin/carb ratio and sliding scale, but still experience very low lows and high highs. I was diagnosed as bipolar when I was a teenager and take medication for that, but I doubt that is the reason for my control issues. Thanks for sharing, all of you. Just the fact that this site and this group exist makes me feel more comfortable with being a diabetic.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service