Simple word (unless someone can show me how to do a poll here) (:::Z

Yes or No... do you BELIEVE there will be a cure within your lifetime?!!? I'll start.

NO

Too much money in keeping us diabetics... maintianing us....
Stuart

Tags: cure, in, lifetime, poll, your

Views: 11969

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Probably not. Sad, but I've been hearing a cure is just around the corner for 26 years.
same here, nicole
Hello Melissa:

So.... that's another NO? Just wanted to count correctly...

Stuart
Correct - that's a resounding "no"
I hear you loud and clear
Hello Dino:

Just to be certain, that's a NO or a YES ???

Stuart
I say "yes" its just around the corner.
Add another 10 + years and we've both been hearing the ~same song~
I say, "no" too, like Nicole I have heard it for the past 52 years. And as others here have posted, can you imagine how much $$ the medical community would loose if they cured the big "D"? They would have to not cure cancer then...oh, wait?

I do believe that they will have more advanced and expensive ways to treat us as time goes on.

i 100% agree. its not in the medical companies $$$ best interest to cure a disease. they profit from our ailments too much. look at HIV, Cancer...what has been cured in our lifetime? Polio, TB...

not much. sad and very pathetic and inexcusable

Daisy Mae

I don't buy that argument. A cure would be a goldmine as the current cures are more "repair jobs" but there will be an endless supply of new patients because the defects causing all kinds of diabetes are genetic.

Well, anything that has a bacterial etiology is pretty much curable. But that's because antibiotics were discovered, and that made those diseases curable (but maybe not forever, because of antibiotic resistance). Viral and genetic diseases are a whole nother order of magnitude more difficult -- maybe many orders of magnitude. Viruses are MUCH harder to control if the person already has the diseases because they insinuate themselves into the very DNA of the cell, and it's hard to get the virus out, so the best they can do with viral diseases is to either let it run its course, or use drugs to suppress the virus. That's why vaccination is so important!

As far as genetic diseases, whether triggered (like T1 AND T2) or inevitable (like cystic fibrosis), it's necessary to understand the workings of the genes involved. That's fairly easy when the diseases is monogenic, like CF or Tay-Sachs disease, but extremely hard when the disease is polygenic, as both T1 and T2 seem to be. So, of course they're going to be hard to cure, and Big Pharma is not even involved all that much at this point. LOTS of tax dollars and public donations go to the search for cures for viral and genetic diseases, and some day, researchers in some University WILL find cures. How those cures get disseminated to the people who need them is another story. Personally, I'm not holding my breath that it will come in my lifetime, but never is a long time, and if not for our children, then for our grandchildren, etc. :-)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service