What are chances of kids developing diabetes if father has type1?

I read someone its 6-8% , is there way to lower it even more somehow , i am worried about getting married and having kids , everytime my family asks me when ur planning to get married i change question or get into argument with them on that i dunno what do help???

Views: 4338

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hallo Raj,
The best answer will come from people here who had type1 diabetes as children,got married and have children and grandchildren.Life is about making choices not to miss living normal life .Wish you happiness always.
Hello Raj:

Well, it is your Life and your decision, not your Family's. If you feel really uncomfortable about having Children and possibly passing the Diabetes on to them, then that is your right to decide not to have Children.

Personally I think it is the "Luck of the draw". We've seen Men with Diabetes who have Diabetic Children. Those Kids are just as loved and wanted. We have also seen many more Diabetic Men who's Children do not have Diabetes(touch wood).

My youngest Brother's(Wife) had 3 Kids. None of them so far have Diabetes(touch wood).

I'm sorry, but I've never yet heard of anything that lessens the percentage that you have mentioned. I think though, if you meet the Right Woman, it won't matter much to you any more. =) Good Luck with your decision.
hy thx , guys for ur replies , i guess its my decision , well my life has been very tensed for last 9 yrs anything but good so even if there is less chance like 6-8% risk i cant blame myself for me being pessimistic. As much as i want to get married and have kids and that was somethin that i was looking forward to i feel gods robbed me of that big happiness as well.so i hope everythin works out well but then again i cant make up my mind , There are so many times i dont approach girl or avoid girls bcoz of this reason only.
Hi Raj,
Don't let diabetes hold you back. You can have a normal life, you can get married and have kids. I understand the fear of passing it on, but you are living with it and you can help your child if that were to happen. Don't stop living....LIVE!
thx ppl
I agree with Terrie8..

Having diabetes I'm sure increases the chance of passing it on and I don't know of anything that can be done to decrease the odds.. There are many of us who have NO history of diabetes in our family. I have 2 autoimmunes (thyroid & diabetes) with no history of either..Perhaps my parents just passed on an unknown genetic defect.. I was diagnosed with T1 at 38, seven years after having my last child. Will they develop diabetes, I don't know. However, I think if either of them do, they will be well educated and able to handle it. Life is a crap shoot; we cannot predict the out come and there are no guarantees. Perfect health does not assure happiness. Honestly as a parent and a diabetic, I worry more about the day I give my kids the keys to the car..or the day they get in a car with another teen driver.

Perhaps you should have an honest discussion with your parents. If they understand your concerns and fears maybe they will be able to respect your decision and stop asking. It truly is a personal decision and no one can make it for you.

This song "It's the only one you've got" by 3Doors Down always inspires me..

Good Luck Raj!
Attachments:
thx needed that , i guess what makes my decision more tougher is whenever as kid or even adult i used to play those games or anythin in which either u win r loose sort of situation i wasnt that good at it and it looks like a yes r no sort of sceanrio in my case too so that also worries me but i guess i would have to make decision when time comes i will see what i will do , dont wanna worry abt it right nw but thx for ur replies guys
Cheers
Raj,

I will tell you what my hubby's dr told him when he was worried about passing the d on to our oldest daughter, the other one is fine, any way remember i'm the diabetic here not him, his mom was a Type 2. In most reasearch theve found that it comes through the mother's side. Ok his mom was a Type 2 I'm a Type 1 and my oldest girl is a Type 1 too with one 23 month old and one 3 1/2 month old so do what another member said don't let your family make this desission for you if you feel right in having children go ahead!! To me my children would hopefully have a cure before they had to worry about this and to my daughter her girls may have the same hope.
I'm the only one in my whole family with t1, and I've had it 41 years. On my dad's side, everyone lives to be over 90, and his grandmother was the first woman doctor in Virginia, so we would have known if someone had it. My mom's side also pretty long-lived. None of my cousins or nephews have it or even their kids, just ME!
Joslin's website lists the odds for getting type 1 (another page also addresses the odds for type 2). In general, while the odds are higher if a father has type 1 than if the mother does, there are factors such as the age of diagnosis for the parents which also play a role. Here's what they report:

* If an immediate relative (parent, brother, sister, son or daughter) has type 1 diabetes, one's risk of developing type 1 diabetes is 10 to 20 times the risk of the general population; your risk can go from 1 in 100 to roughly 1 in 10 or possibly higher, depending on which family member has the diabetes and when they developed it.

* If one child in a family has type 1 diabetes, their siblings have about a 1 in 10 risk of developing it by age 50.

* The risk for a child of a parent with type 1 diabetes is lower if it is the mother — rather than the father — who has diabetes. "If the father has it, the risk is about 1 in 10 (10 percent) that his child will develop type 1 diabetes — the same as the risk to a sibling of an affected child," Dr. Warram says. On the other hand, if the mother has type 1 diabetes and is age 25 or younger when the child is born, the risk is reduced to 1 in 25 (4 percent) and if the mother is over age 25, the risk drops to 1 in 100 — virtually the same as the average American.

* If one of the parents developed type 1 diabetes before age 11, their child's risk of developing type 1 diabetes is somewhat higher than these figures and lower if the parent was diagnosed after their 11th birthday.

* About 1 in 7 people with type 1 has a condition known as type 2 polyglandular autoimmune syndrome. In addition to type 1 diabetes, these people have thyroid disease, malfunctioning adrenal glands and sometimes other immune disorders. For those with this syndrome, the child's risk of having the syndrome, including type 1 diabetes, is 1 in 2, according to the American Diabetes Association (ADA).

Caucasians (whites) have a higher risk of type 1 diabetes than any other race. Whether this is due to differences in environment or genes is unclear. Even among whites, most people who are susceptible do not develop diabetes.

There's more, but the facts are clear. First, you cannot do anything do reduce the odds, so don't sweat over that one! Second, even though many kids are at theoretical risk, most do not get it. The odds are pretty low, so that really isn't much of a reason to decide against having children. There are other things that could happen, too, and you have no control over those things, so don't feel pressured by family on this issue.
thx man needed it
Raj - I just noticed this thread and thought I'd jump in. I totally understand your thinking. I also am begining to understand the tru power of our thoughts. Did you ever notice when you really think thing will not work out ....they don't? On the converse I am sure you can recall times when you had sharp thoughts or intuitions of what would turn out positive and it did. All I can attest to is I have had type 1 diabetes since age 12. I am now age 47 and have a wife and healthy 13 year old son. I am a school counselor. These are all things I thought I would have...they were my dreams. My belief is learn to dream big and talk with God. I was always afraid to tell the women I dated about my diabetes but when I did it really never became a problem and if it had I figured they wern't for me. Their are many fish in the sea as they say...have fun ...go fishing! Good Luck and here is to your renewed confidence.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service