Hi All,
I'm struggling with this one due to alot of things going on in my life. So, I was wondering if you might have some knowledge on this.
I constantly deal with mental health issues in my family ranging from autism,adhd,schizo-affective disorders, bi-polar ,and depression along with a child that has trictotillomania (hairpulling disorder) and one that is blind in one eye.
Life can get a bit interesting around my house to say the least.
When I have to deal with a sudden tantrum or something... I know that my bloodpressure goes up... Does my bloodsugar as well?
Thanks for your thoughts on this.
MeadowLark

Additional Links Added by the TuDiabetes Admin Team

What do You do to Relieve your Stress

Stress and Diabetes

Does Stress Cause Highs?

Tags: bg, high, raise, stress

Views: 14308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think stress can definately raise you bloodsugar! I work with daily deadlines, and when work starts to get overwhelming, my BS usualy jumps from pleasant 120s to 200's with no food involved. I started tracking my sugars and found the phenomenon only happened on very busy work days. My family can raise my blood sugars too. It has to do with stress hormones that increase output of glucose from the liver and also cause some insulin resistance.
Hello Chloe,

Theres a great book called "why zebras dont get ulcers" written by Sapolsky.
If you have some time check it out. It explains very well what stress really is and how it affects our organism.
I found it increadibly revealing and learnt a lot about diabetes with this book although its not focused on our condition.
Basically under stress we secrete a lot of glucocorticoids which has many affects on our body, among others finally increasing our blood sugar. Many intermediate steps are explained in this book and makes you understand some reactions in our body.

All the best
Like the little bat from the movie "Anastasia" said: "Stress, it's a killer!"

I've measured my BG before and after meditation and seen it drop dramatically. I studied the use of biofeedback and meditation to control a phobia of needles prior to a cardiac catheter, and now the skills are very useful. At first, I used a very expensive biofeedback trainer that connected to a laptop, but now the product has been streamlined and made much less expensive and easier to use. I suggest the Emwave Personal Stress Reliever for training yourself to reduce stress at will. The unit is about the size and shape of a pocket MP3 player, and worth the expense and effort of learning to use it.

www.emwave.com

---Gwen
Gwen, I was wondering how bad it was to have a heart cathether done? I have several different things wrong from fibromyalgia to obesity to diabetes and asthma. I've had so many tests ran I figure that can't be far behind. I like to know in advance how bad they are. Thanks, Brenda

Hello Gwen:

Its been a couple years since this response. Any updates re: any newer bio-feedback or neuro-feedback tools? Emwave's or otherwise? Software? Hardware?

Thanks for telling me about the emwave; for now, it's just too high over our heads in price.
sigh... add more stress. Hubby is activating this month. Life has got to get better!!! The past 3 years have been a rollercoaster of crud.
MeadowLark
Meadowlark, I can tell you for sure, on the days I have to babysit, my blood sugars are alot higher. I am a grandma and live a pretty calm life, but throw in those kids and wham up it goes. Then it goes back down after they leave. I hope this helps!
MeadowLark for me it can raise mine as far up as 150 points I WILL NEVER SAY WHAT IT DOERS FOR OTHERS.I WILL JUST SAY WHAT IT DOES TO ME. IT HAS ALSO CAUSED ME TYO FALL LOW WAY TO FAST! BUT THAT'S JUST ME.
Boy you've got a lot on your plate.
I would say that stress certainly does a lot of messing with your body's chemicals and can cause bg to rise.
However, with me, it's more the issue of stress causing me not to take care of myself, with poor meals, no exercise and improperly timed insulin.
My elderly mother has been very ill since last November. During her several hospitalizations, I lived out of vending machines. Cheetoes and DingDongs on a regular basis do not bode well for my blood sugar.
I really hope your homefront calms down.
yeah.. I need this homefront to calm down. sigh....
I have the same reasons for not losing weight the way I want.cruddy eating and no exercise.
MeadowLark
I have found that my blood sugar drops dramatically after a massage. So, I guess that means stress must play a big part in my high blood sugar readings.
it sure does! my endo suspects that the extremely high mental stress (due to uni final exams) i faced just prior to my diagnosis accelerated the rise in my bgs. upon diagnosis i measured in at 720, by the way. she thinks that if i had not been so stressed, my bgs would not have been so high (but still high because i am diabetic anyway).

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service