I understand the difference between type 1 and type 2. But I have a question about it. If you are type 2 and your pancreas burns out, are you then considered type 1? Or still type 2, but insulin dependent?

Tags: LADA, diagnosis, misdiagnosis, type1, type2

Views: 1889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Correction: The vast majority of people can eat anything, and as much, as they want. Insulin resistance is not caused by poor diet. It is caused by a genetic defect that leads to insulin resistance in the face of a variety of factors.

Current research is consistent with the theory that chronic high insulin levels in people with the genetic predisposition for Metabolic Syndrome develop insulin resistance in response to chronically high insulin levels. lifestyle that produces this situation is a high carb diet, not poor nutrition and/or food choices. Once can eat a very healthy diet loaded with carbs, and still wind up diabetic.

Once insulin resistance starts to kick in, it's a vicious circle... Insulin levels become chronically high, no matter what one eats. Eventually insulin resistance becomes bad enough that the pancreas can't keep up, and fasting BG levels start to rise, meeting the medical definition of diabetes.

While it is, of course, good advice to eat well, typing poor nutrition to diabetes as if it's the cause, and therefore the individual's fault, is not only wrong, it can lead to depression because people end up blaming themselves for something they really had little to no control over.

Post diagnosis, a T2 diabetic should get busy losing weight (if overweight), and agressively controlling their BG. Once diabetic, continuing a high carb diet and taking truckloads of insulin will only maintain, or exacerbate the problem.

oh wow. i didn't know about this? I thought if you didn't get your diabetes under control that you could develop from a type 2 to type 1.
You aren't type1 until you have a doctor run the necessary blood test or tests that tell them you aren't producing any of your own insulin, or very very little. You will also experience the symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis after a very short period of time and if you don't get your rear into a hospital bed you will either end up in a coma or die.

Type2 cannot turn into type1, and in the event thatt happens to somebody, they were just doomed to get type1 even without the presence of type2.
Dr. Bernstein and others talk about islet-cell burnout for type 2's. You are saying in your first paragraph that if you burn out your islet cells, you would go from type 2 to type 1. Then you are saying in your second paragraph that it can't happen. I'm confused.
Lee Ann is right, ADA,did not consult us about the new classification for diabetes. It is confusing
( Type1a, autoimmune ( positive antibodies
Type1b, non autoimmune ( negative antibodies

Type2 insulin resistance, mainly
Gestational diabetes
Other rare genetic causes,MODY and others
Secondary diabete ,cystic fibrosis

Type 1 depends on insulin to live
Other types may need insulin for better control
And, another note, if a type one gains weight and stays sedentary, they will have insulin resistance and require the use of other injectables like Symlin. Losing weight and more exercise can help in the exogenous insulin working better for us.

It isn't that we become 'Type 2', but we are similar to a type 2 in the struggles of BG control and weight loss. Needing more insulin, other meds which re given to type 2's aren't given to us, but we can use Symlin to delay the rush of glucose to our blood. I've lost 13 lbs, and was able to stay on Symlin, but reduce insulin requirements for the day.

My mom was able to toss all her type 2 meds when she lost 15lbs. When she gained it back and more, she went onto insulin.
My mother was diagnosed T2 in her 30's. At first she tool sulfanylureas then metformin. she carried a little weight, but not much. She was at the high side of normal. She didn't look obese, just healthy. In her 60's the doc wanted to put her on insulin, but she was needle phobic and refused despite our urgings. In her 60's, her feet and ankles were turning dark and she stopped telling me about her doctor's visits. She had severe circulation problems and neuropathy. At 66, her kidneys failed and she was on dialysis. She died of complications 1 year and 3 days later.

Because I knew the symptoms from my mom's experiences, I knew what was wrong when my thirst increased and my mouth was so dry I could stike a match on my tongue. I was in my 30's. I hated going to the doctor, so I took matters into my own hands and changed my diet. If something exacerbated my symptoms, I eliminated it. Eventually, I eliminated sodas, candy bars, bread and potatoes and everything els in moderation. I had stumbled onto the adkins diet by trial and error. I took no pills. My weight was in the 160's......I was slim.
In my early 50's, I was rebuilding some apartments in Houston, tx and stepped on a nail. It became infected. I bought antibiotics in mexico, but could not eliminate the infection and two years later I noticed fiery red streaks radiating up my leg. Blood poisoning was setting in and I made the trip to the VA in Kerrville. They operated to remove the staf infection and diagnosed me officially diabetic., hypertensive and hyperlipidemia. I'm on drugs for it all including insulin. My pancreas makes bout 20% of normal output.
Anyway, what this all means is a type two will progress despite diet and excersize. Nobody knows why someones imune system will attack istself. noone knows what causes T2. We all know the symptoms. A t1 is inicially characterized by rapid weight loss leading to DKA if un checked. T2 is iniltially characterized as weight gain, but not always..
At diagnosis and untreated T1 is lucky to live 5 years uncontrolled. A T2 might live 25 years. I am glad I am on meds. When I exert myself, I no longer feel the pressure on my chest. I generally feel better and sleep better.
Sorry to talk so much.

Take care of yourselves. Life has a lot to show us
peace
danny
"Anyway, what this all means is a type two will progress despite diet and excersize."

Perhaps I misunderstood but, if tight control is kept on BG then diabetes doesn't necessarily progress. Of course, diet and exercise alone doesn't always give tight control - medications may be required.

Reference: http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

~Danielle
there are 4 types of Diabetes: Type 1, Type 2, Gestational, and Other. You can find an excellent description of the types from the UCSF Website Diabetes Education Online

and the Etiologic classification of diabetes mellitus –
based on American Diabetes Association criteria HERE
MY history is rather long, twisted and unusual to say the least.

I was Dx'd (of sorts) with diabetes when I was hospitalized for diabetes after drinking about 2ox of coke and my wife had to call 911. I had recently had a sore throat (my doc refused to see me for follow up, "just a sore Throat" he said. So my intro to teh world of diabetes was more typical of a type-1. I even had a honeymoon of sorts, then ended up on insulin after ust over a year.

PROBLEM, I was too young for T-2 and too old for T-1 and did not know my mother was a needle diabetic, or even diabetic.

When I was 14 I MAYBE(?) had pancreatitis in the hospital not sure, but I do remember the docs saying it was not an apendasitis. A comment was made to me that I would end up on shots. To me that was a SHOCKER and wanted to hear and know NOTHING about the subject, maybe I should have, but hey I was 14 and recovered....or did I?

After that whateveritwas episode when I got sick, I GOT SICK and tool longer to recover. I had hepatitis and was hospitalized for 5 weeks, home 2 weeks and then back to school, while everyone else was back to work/school in just 2 weeks (go figure).

In the Navy I was admitted and re-admitted a couple more times before recovering from a simple URI, well maybe not so simple/typical. A little over a year later I was written up for Captain's Mast for failure to seek medical treatment upon admision to the hospital for pneumonia. The sick bad doc had GOMERed me (kicked me out for 10 days, then got mad one morning and marched me down to Xray saying he was going to PROVE there was nothing wrong with me, then called for an ambulance.

In the meantime several possable diabets related issues developed, a sudden vision problem (3 main possable causes, one being diabetes and the other 2 no history of) and others, well before I was Dx'd, even before joinning the Navy.

I have a request in for my Navy medical records and just this past week requested (if available) medical records of my hospitalizations when I was 14 and 15. If nothing else they may shed some light on WHY my diabetes is not quite T1 nor T2 and been a GOMER ever since boot camp.

BTW I keytone at BS levels typical of a T1, not like a T2 except maybe a little slower than many T1s.

(*&*( GOMER

To me, trying to typify diabetes creates a false dichotomy. In 2009 I was diagnosed with late onset type 2 because I was over 40 years old with a healthy lifestyle and nobody in my family is diabetic. Nobody prescribed anything except food and exercise, which were both well balanced, but a subsequent routine HbA1C test scared the doctors, who asked me to rush to Accident & Emergency (We call the emergency room A&E)twice in one week during May 2012 with suspected type 1 diabetes. Healthcare professionals wanted to pump in insulin and water but my veins froze up and I refused injections unless they were prepared to diagnose the condition they wanted to prescribe for.

To me it is unethical to prescribe prior to diagnosis.

It took months before anyone agreed to do any of the tests (for insulin, ICA and GAD antibodies) which I believed could inform their treatment. Finally the GAD test results were off the scale and type 1 diabetes was diagnosed.

I spent eleven months on insulin and finally found it depressed me more than I could tolerate so I stopped at the beginning of July this year, whereupon my blood sugars went down to below normal. I am delighted that I can influence my immune system and would like to continue to improve it.

I do not know if I can. All I know is that 'experts' misdiagnosed me because of numbers (over 40 years of age must be type 2)and this was inconsistent with my symptoms, which were simply excessive sweat and poor concentration.

Without insulin, my entire energy system seems to have improved and my eyesight and teeth are both returning to normal with some vigilance on my part. It seems that high protein low carbohydrate food intake is good for my health, but I have lost some weight and do not want to become anorexic.

Recently I ate some bread and my blood sugars went up extortionately. My cholesterol is already above normal, so I am requesting an appointment with a dietician. I hope she can give me some advice about how to maintain my weight without upsetting the other numbers.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service