Many children with type 1diabetes were misdiagnosed by doctors on first presentation ( UTI,GE,Bronchiolitis.....) before diagnosing them as diabetics.Wide public campaign alerted the public about diabetes symptoms so they demand looking for diabetes as cause of their children symptoms.

Have you experienced the same?

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess I was one of the fortunate ones who was diagnosed very early, mostly because of my parents. My father was type 1 (sorry if this is repetitive) so they recognized my symptoms of constant drinking and urinating right away. They tested my bg with my father's meter and it was high 300's if I remember correctly so they brought me to the ER. The dr. there told my parents I probably only had it for a few months before then, not long at all.
I agree that there is no awareness at all of the symptoms of type 1 diabetes ... even in the non-endo medical field!
two days ago I had a 5 y old,newly diagnosed with his Dad also type1 who checked BG for his son when showed polyuria,BG was 300 mg,went to a clinic who asked him to come next day for fasting BG.But the clever father brought him to our ER. Sad that professionals still cannot diagnose diabetes!!
I was told I had "depression" for a couple years before we figured out ourselves what the deal was and asked the doctor "Am I diabetic?" So much for differential diagnosis. . . . . Switching to a new GP helped greatly.
It is the season for new cases of childhood type1 diabetes.We started alert campaign in our hospital for doctors & nurses giving lectures so not to misdiagnose a new case and delay diagnosis, with the DKA will be the sequelae.
Could you elaborate on this point? I didn't realize there was a "season" for T1D. But since I was Dx in May, I find this very interesting.
i was always really really sick...for years! They told me i had a bladder infection and then sent me home. I got A LOT sicker and they finally diagnosed me with type 1 diabetes at the age of 14.I feel i had it years before that.
No, type 1 can not go undiagnosed for years,for months may be,as insulin defeciency will increase till it will present in DKA.
I now realize that my 10 year old daughter had been showing obvious signs for about two weeks - she was going to the bathroom at night, once even soaking the bathroom floor, to her sleepy horror, and she had just developed DKA breath. Of course, I couldn't figure out what the heck the breath was about. Her teacher and I several times reviewed what we knew - no extra thirst, no extra bathroom breaks during the day, no other strong signs except that she had lost a noticeable of weight. She'd been a bit pudgy and had been growing, so we didn't realize the extent of her weight loss - just thought she was slimming and growing like all healthy girls her age.

She was dx at her 10 year check up when her pedi immediately saw that she'd lost 13 pounds in the previous 4 months. After about 2 questions to explore whether she might be anorexic, she was given a BG test and diagnosed. I'd say a successful dx took about 10 minutes. Her BG was only at 300, although her A1c was 14. We were lucky she had that appointment and that her disease was caught relatively early.
Public awareness with symptoms and signs help a lot,not to delay diagnosis.
When I got sick when I was 11 (30 years ago), the doctor spent 6 months on psychological counseling. He was absolutely positive I was being abused by my parents, and my symptoms were psychosomatic. I could not convince him that wasn't case. I did have bruises often because I was a tomboy and loved to play sports with the boys, I was on boy's teams, not girl's teams, and I was often the toughest kid on the team. But, I rapidly got to lethargic to participate anymore.
My mom finally brought me in to him and said "her father is T1, you WILL check her for diabetes and do it now!"
He was so worried about the result, he called me an ambulance and had me taken to the hospital. I don't remember what my BG was, though.
Your Mum is great
My PCP observed several years of problematic fasting numbers before bothering to tell me I was "Pre diabetic." Only later did I learn that any single test of a fasting number above 126 mg/dl is considered "diabetes." The sad thing is I spend at least 2 years (probably 3) where my doctors had all the data to diagnose me as a full blown diabetic but failed to do anything. After I was diagnosed (five years ago), I went through a range of medications. Typical medications like metformin don't improve my blood sugar control. I controlled through a very low carb diet and exercise. Two years ago, my doctors agreed to a c-peptide, it came back low. I started to requesting antibody tests two years ago, but have repeatedly denied them. I started seeing another endo in hopes of getting some help. I've recently been granted a GAD65 test.

So my answer is, 2-3 years before any diagnosis and still waiting 7-8 years for a definitive diagnosis.

I still harbor some anger at my so called medical team. Oh, and I have some "trust" issues.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service