Is there anyone out there that can explain the new concept of being not only T1 but also T2 at the same time?

I have a 15 yoa neice and she has been a T1 diabetic since she was 8 yoa. Recently she was diagnois as not only a T1 but also has T2 diabetes. I asked my own dr. about it and he stated this is the newest thing. I would like to learn more about if anyone can explain it. Thanks!-----Lana

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well Lana,I never heard of that but I know what your neice doctor means,I have a patient diagnosed as insulin dependent diabetes( type1),if she miss a dose or had stress she will be admitted in DKA,at 17y,she wanted to reduce her weight,we put her on a diet,reducing total daily shots.Her blood glucose started coming down with hypo,she ended up with no insulin,I admitted her to observe if it was really true,investigated her for causes of hypoglycemia in a diabetic,could not find a cause.She was without insulin for 3 months then started again but on less than her half dose.
Her father,brother,half brother are autoimmune type1 diabetics.I presented this case every where with no answer.She is not insulin dependent any more!!!!
There was a reported woman whose diabetes disappeared when she developed rheumatoid arthritis.!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't exactly call it the "newest thing". Makes your doc sound a bit behind the times. It's totally possible for Type 1's to become insulin resistant and progress to the diagnosis of Type 2. Just means that your niece will be dependent on not only insulin, but also Type 2 orals like metformin or such. They are 2 different diseases so it's possible to have both.
that's just making it harder than it already is. You can't be both, but you can be type1 because you don't make any or very little insulin, and insulin resistant. There is no easy explanation for any of it. How about diabetic denial? Sometimes I think that maybe yesterday was just a bad day for my pancreas. I have a solution - just sum it ALL up by calling it "metabolic syndrome". It can manifest itself in as many ways as there are people with the syndrome. Forget the type 1 or 2.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service