Name: Sarah
type of diabetes: Type 1
how do you manage it?: Pump, exercise, and diet
School you attend: Wayne State University, detroit, mi
Major: Anthropology
Minor: criminal justice
career goals: Forensic/physical anthropologist
expected date of graduation: may 2008
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: exercise is a great stress reliever!

Views: 145

Replies to This Discussion

Gina Giles
Type 1 Diabetes (since I was 5)
Pump, Diet, and excercise
I attended John Carroll University in Cleveland for my bachelors degree- graduated 2004. I'm currently attending Keller Graduate School of Management for my MBA and will graduate in 2009 or 2010. I also work full time in a high-pressure sales/marketing position.
Major: Business Administration - concentration in Marketing and Small Business Management
Career Goals: Open and run my own business. I'm tired of working for others. And I have a couple of ideas I'd like to test out! :)
Expected Date of Graduation: end of 2009 or 2010
Tip that has helped me: Take time for yourself. Whatever it is that you enjoy doing the most- set time aside to do it as often as possible. Go shopping, take a bath, get a massage, work out, spend time with friends, go on a roadtrip or vacation. You have to treat yourself.
Name: Rebekah
Type: Type 1
How I manage it: Insulin Injection - Lantis and Novo Rapid
School I Attend: Chichester University, England
Degree: BA Hons Media Production, Creative Writing and English (Joint - equal credits)
Career Goals: Filmmaker and childrens writer with back up plan of teaching.
Expected Graduation Date: May 2010
Tip: Test sugars regurally, especially if feeling stessed.
Name: Lindsay
how do you manage it?: Shots, Exercise (when I can find time!)
School you attend: Seattle University
Major: Biology
Minor: Nothing but I would love to minor in Spanish or music
career goals: I'm going to be one kickass doctor
expected date of graduation: 2010 for my BA, In a billion years (for Med School) :P
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: As much as you hate it, make sure you have sugar with you at all times. I've found myself out exploring Seattle with blood sugar lows in places where I can't get to food immediately.
Name: Jess
how do you manage it?: pens (maybe the pump)
School you attend: Hamline University- Saint Paul, MN
Major: Criminal Justice
Minor: Biology, Sociology, Forensic Science
career goals: (at the moment- anything that pays)
expected date of graduation: 17 May 2008
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: I don't honestly know since I was JUST diagnosed
Name: Cherise
how do you manage it?: shots, diet, and exercise
School you attend: University of Phoenix - both on campus and FlexNet
Major: psychology
Minor: none-will have one when I start my Master's program at the University of Utah.
career goals: to help others that have both diabetes and mental health issues like I do through therapy/counseling. Sometimes its hard to find the right medications because of people's diabetes and drug warnings
expected date of graduation:2011 for bachelor's
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: destress if you feel like you are getting stressed. I know that when I get stressed out my blood sugars go crazy.
Name: Kelsey
how do you manage it?: Insulin pump
School you attend: San Francisco State University (Go Gators! Chomp chomp.)
Major: Psychology
Minor: Human Sexuality
career goals: Family Psychologist or something of the like.
expected date of graduation: 2011
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: Uhm... I would say get involved. Being in clubs and stuff is a really great way to build support academically, and you make some really great friends that will support you in your health too!
Name: Katie
how do you manage it?: Pump
School you attend: Urbana University
Major: Early Childhood Education
Minor: n/a
career goals: Teach around my hometown
expected date of graduation: May 2010
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: Make friends with the cafeteria staff! I introduced myself to them on the first day and explained that i was Type 1 Diabetic and need to know the exact carbs and portion size for my meals. Now they know what foods I like and will measure and count the carbs for me! It makes it so much easier than just guessing the ammount of carbs.
Name: Melissa
type of diabetes: Type I
how do you manage it?: first two years, MDI. the last two years of college: pump.
School you attend(ed): Southern Methodist University, Dallas
Major: Vocal Performance (Music) and English Lit/Creative Writing
Minor: none
career goals: I became a professional voice lessons instructor, a singer, and I dabble in writing.
expected date of graduation: graduated May of 2002
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: What helped me most was knowing who was supportive. I founded a support group for students, faculty, and staff with diabetes and got to meet people who used different treatment therapies than me - that's what got me onto pump therapy! All I did was write an editorial in the paper about trying to begin a support group. It kind of took off from there. The other most helpful thing was recognizing that there were days I could not be Superwoman. If I'm sitting in my car, still treating a low, and class began 15 minutes ago and I'm stressing about being there, my priorities are off. I had to learn to take care of myself first and cut myself a little slack.
Can't remember if I've done this survey before or not. Thought I'd do it again.
Name: Cherise (aka Khaos Faerie)
how do you manage it?: insulin shots, diet and exercise
School you attend: EagleGate College
Major: Graphic Design
Minor: na
career goals: use my web development degree and my graphic design degree together to start my own business.
expected date of graduation: just starting august 11th
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: do not drink! landed me in the hospital more than one time with DKA because I was a binge drinker. Another one is check your blood sugar like you are supposed to. Then you wont get the unexpected highs or lows.
Name: Lara
how do you manage it?: omnipod/diet/exercie
School you attend: VBC
Major: elementary ed
Minor: ---
career goals: be a preschool/lower ed teacher
expected date of graduation: 2009
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: stay in control...even when busy
Name: Christine
how do you manage it?: Pump
School you attend: PSTCC
Major: Photography
Minor: Foreign Language
career goals: To work for National Geographic
expected date of graduation: 2011
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: Exercise = stress reliever
Name: Megan
type of diabetes: Not sure yet, but doc is leaning towards type 1
how do you manage it?: Mostly diet
School you attend: Rhodes University (South Africa)
Major: Masters by thesis in psychology (studying online eating disorder support groups)
Minor:
career goals: Do a Clinical or Counselling masters, and then become a psychologist (private practice) and do volunteer work with NGO's
expected date of graduation: 2010 for this Masters, not sure for the next...
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: I found a low GI muffin recipe. I make a huge batch of these and freeze them, so I can just grab them out the freezer and stick them in the microwave if I've overslept or am running late.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service