Name: Sarah
type of diabetes: Type 1
how do you manage it?: Pump, exercise, and diet
School you attend: Wayne State University, detroit, mi
Major: Anthropology
Minor: criminal justice
career goals: Forensic/physical anthropologist
expected date of graduation: may 2008
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: exercise is a great stress reliever!

Views: 179

Replies to This Discussion

Name: Jessica
how do you manage it?: Pump
School you attend: University of New England
Major: Doctorate of Physical Therapy
Minor:
career goals: Right now it's just to finish the program and certification!
expected date of graduation: May 2011
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: Just try to have some fun. I need to figure out some good stress relief.
Name: Doreen
type of diabetes: type 1
how do you manage it?: insulin shots
School you attend: Florida State University
Major: Business
Minor: not sure yet
career goals: uh not sure yet I just started so I am still researching what type of career I'm gonna get into
expected date of graduation: 2012
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: haven't heard a good one yet...
Name: Emily
Type of Diabetes: Type 1
How do you manage it? Omnipod
School you Attend: Great Plains Technology Center Lawton,OK
Major: Medical Administration/Nursing
Minor: No time with two majors
Career Goals: Pediatric Endo Nursing
Expected Graduation: Business Summer 2009 or Begining 2010 Nursing 2012
One tip that has helped you deal with D in College: School is not number one and should never be number one... PRAY AND PRAY OFTEN!

(Oh I know I can't spell so forgive me!)
Name: Sarah
Type: 1
How I manage: Shots
School: Old Dominion University, (Norfolk, VA)
Major: Communications
Minor: Political Science
Career Goals: Lawyer
Expected Date of grad.: May 2010
One tip: I need tips... i dont know enough yet to be handing out advice :-)
Name: Jessica
type of diabetes: T1
how do you manage it?: insulin, carb count, exercise
School you attend: George Washington University
Major: History
Minor: Pre-Med
career goals: No clue... med school? lol
expected date of graduation: 2010
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: do not stress eat! lol
Name: Sparrow
type of diabetes: type 2
how do you manage it?: diet, exercise, prayer
School you attend: Idaho State University graduate school
Major: Political Science
sub-specialty: History
(My undergrad degrees were in Political Science and Applied Economics)
career goals: professorship
expected date of graduation: umm... 2013? 2014? Depends on how hung up I get on thesis/dissertation
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: research professors before signing up for their classes! (Because ill-fit between professor and student = extra stress)

I'm gradually getting better at handling the stress. I also have asperger's syndrome so just leaving my house can be a lot of stress, but I survived undergraduate work and might even survive graduate work. I definitely can't take summer classes, though, because it takes all summer just to work through two semesters' worth of stress and get back to normal again.
Name: Arturo "Turtle" Lopez
how do you manage it?: Insulin, exercise
School you attend: Long Beach City College
Major: Psychology
Minor: Human Development
career goals:become a Child Psychologist
expected date of graduation: transfer to Cal State University Long Beach in 2012?
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: shouldnt do frequent all nighters and should start taking care of myself again
Name: myriam
type of diabetes: 1
how do you manage it?: paradigm pump
School you attend: millersville university
Major: math ed.
Minor: music
career goals: get a phd
expected date of graduation: may 2011
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: i dunno, that's why i came here! but we have professional counselors at my school that you can see for free and i think that's helped me. then again i also have major depression....
hey myriam, i was in the same boat when i was in college (graduated in '05), only i didn't talk to anyone about my depression and i didn't have the resources or where-with-all to reach out to other diabetics. since starting to see a therapist and taking meds for my depression, i've been able to talk about the things affecting my mental health (diabetes just being one of many), and in sharing those parts of my life, by not keeping them so tightly covered and my myself to tightly guarded, i've seen such a difference and really feel like i'm making progress. you should give yourself a lot of credit for seeking out the counselors at your school and looking for a place like tudiabetes to connect with others like you. i wish i'd had that wisdom at your age :-) good luck!
I promised myself I would respond to the first thing I randomly clicked on to get over my irrational anxiety over social networking! :P Here goes...

Name: Taylor
type of diabetes: 1
how do you manage it?: MDI (for now)/exercise/diet
School you attend: UCLA
Major: Anthropology
Minor: Ethnomusicology
career goals: Rock star ;) failing that badass, world-traveling Anthropologist would suffice
expected date of graduation: May 2012
one tip that has helped you deal with diabetes in college: This is more of a life tip but, be on top of your s*** and don't procrastinate. That paper is due, you have a meeting with your advisor for undergrad research, your bg is low, you need your glasses script changed/new contacts, whatever; handle it right away. Handling it = low stress, low stress = healthy mind, healthy mind = healthy body. It all fits together. :) And ultimately it boils down to taking responsibility for yourself; every part of yourself.
Hey Taylor! I just had to respond to your post...mostly because your answers to these questions are almost identical to what I would have written. I was diagnosed when I was 17, right after graduating and moving away to college...where I majored in anthro and women's studies, with music on the side :-) I did research in South Africa during undergrad and after graduating from college, I moved half way around the world and lived and worked in Seoul, Korea and Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I traveled/volunteered all over Asia for about two years in all. I definitely have some fun (and not so fun) stories about dealing with diabetes on remote islands in the middle of the Mekong, with no electricity or medical access for hours and hours; mislabeled vials of insulin from what appeared to be a legit French clinic in downtown Phnom Penh, with the ever-so-fun and totally unpredictable lows that resulted. I always find it funny when I share stories with new people in my life and they look at me incredulously, mouths agape, wondering how in the world I managed to do all of this with diabetes. I hadn't ever considered not doing it. It definitely is tough though. There's a lot more to consider, a lot more planning, and a lot more saving involved (medical supplies are no cheaper in Asia!) than for your "average" world-traveling anthropologist. I hope you get to do some fun adventuring of your own soon. Let me know if you plan on heading to southern Africa or Asia at any point, I'd be happy to make recommendations and lend some advice to a fellow traveler and diabetic.

also, on the academic side, i'd recommend checking out a medical anthro class or two. they often focus on racial and socioeconomic health disparities (which is the field in which I currently work - at a community health clinic in berkeley). But there are often really interesting classes that are particularly relevant for diabetics, concerning one's connection with the body, the body as a colonized object, different cultural interpretations of disease and the human body, hierarchy and power dynamics of the medical and larger western cultures, and other such cool topics on which diabetics have some uncommon and very vital perspectives. I imagine you'd have a lot to contribute to the dialogue surrounding these all too often 'academicized' topics.

alright, enough advice giving. take it easy taylor :-)
Yay Team Anthropology!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service