Doing a little show of hands here: where are the pumpers of Tu Diabetes>

Please state:
-Pump model: Medtronic Minimed 515.
-Since when you've been pumping: mid-2005
-Overall experience: I cannot imagine not using it.
-Would you recommend it to others: I would, though I would recommend it most to people comfortable with gadgets. However, even if you're not a gadget freak, it's worth learning to use it.

Tags: medtronic, pump

Views: 1139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

-Pump Model:  OneTouch 'Ping'

-Since when: 1 week

-Overall experience: I love it. It's made me life so much easier, and my carb ratios are much more precise.

-Would you recommend to others: I would def. recommend to others. It's absolutely wonderful!!

Wow, Mariah, just one week in and it sounds like you've already adapted to your Ping. Is it your first pump? I'm starting on saline today on my new Ping which is the first for me and I figured it will take a few weeks to get to the point you're at!

my kiddo is a pumper...

-Pump model: Animas Ping
-Since when you've been pumping: since he was 18 months old.... march of 2008

-Overall experience: I thank God for the pump every single day!!!

-Would you recommend it to others: absolutly!!! it definately provides much more freedom!! especially for young kids 

Pump model: Accu-Chek Ariva Combo
-Since when you've been pumping: 2 months
-Overall experience: I'm slowly getting used to it.
-Would you recommend it to others: Yes, its much better then injecting.
Pump model: Accu Chek/Disetronic Spirit
Pumping Since: Feb/March 2010
Overall Experience: Not bad, though the honeymoon doesn't last forever..Hope I can somehow upgrade to the Spirit Combo when its avalible in the States... Now iv stopped inadvertently pulling out sets (for the most part), licked the adhesive game (for the most part) and can quickly and easily add extra insulin when needed/sick/just doesn't want to play... Not a fan of tubing (toss and turn) but cannot get an omnipod..
Would I recommend it: Sure would.. beats lantus/levimir hands down for nighttime basal insulin. plus its easy to go. Gee i really should take a little insulin.. With MDI, taking that one or two units usually was such a hassle youd wait for the next meal to correct.. Also even though infusion sites can sometimes get red, I dont get the *bruising* i did with MDI...One/two inserts over 3 days vs 6+ injections a day... the clear winnder for me
MODEL: Currently "Pinging" (!). Although prefer Medtronic as a stand-alone, non-CGM combo pump.
SINCE: Pumping since 1991. I guess this is my 20-yr anniversary
OA EXPERIENCE: Have enjoyed every minute since '91, every dessert and every skipped meal--all possible w great control. I love the complete flexibility of eating-- you eat you bolus, you eat a lot you bolus a lot, you don't want to eat you don't bolus, you exercise you turn basal down (OR eat, now you have a choice!!!)
RECOMM: see my experience above. Pumps not for everyone but they are great for many!
Pump model: Accu Chek Combo since October 2010
-Overall experience: There are still challenges (infusion set mishaps!) but overall I love it. Really has given me more day to day flexibility and freedom. Sleep better now that the basals are finely tuned, more energy and sense of wellbeing.
-Would you recommend it to others: Yes. It is certainly not difficult to use. My HbAc1 is currently 6.3% and I can't tell you how satisfying that is after 22 years of MDI and up and down control.

It makes living with D a less stressful experience and I couldn't recommend it enough.
Pump Model: Minimed Paradigm 722
Pumping since: 1999, just started sensors again for the 2nd time (1st was in the early days with too many problems to work out with Minimed)
Overall experience: Changed my life
Recommend: Definitely. I just talked to someone about their nephew yesterday who was diagnosed with Type 1 and went on and on about the pump and its benefits.

Pump model: Medtronic Revel 723
Pumping since: January 13, 2012
Overall experience: I'm liking it more and more, but 52 years of syringes and vials was comfortable for me.
Recommend to others: For newbies, sure; for "old dogs" like me, it's a whole set of "new tricks" that I need to learn.

Re the posts on placement: After 5w years of shots I don't have much usable "real estate" on my abdomen. Am using the tops and sides of my legs almost exclusively. especially since the CGM sensor doesn't like being as far from the pump as it has to be using my abdomen.

MINIMED 522
PUMPING SINCE 2000
TYPE 1 SINCE 1936
I LOVE THE PUMP --IT'S FREEDOM COMPARED TO SHOTS
ALSO I CAN EAT WHATEVER I WANT ( UP TO A POINT )& WHENEVER I WANT
I COUNT CARBS, OF COURSE

Pump model: Medtronic Minimed 723.
-Since when you've been pumping: Jan-2001
-Overall experience: Better control (though not perfect/convenience
-Would you recommend it to others: Yes, with some caveats--some cannot handle the technology.

I TRIED MY THIGH BUT COULD NOT SLEEP ON THAT SIDE.ALSO TRIED THE FRONT OF LEG BUT WHEN I SAT ON BUS WHERE DO I PUT MY BAG? ON BELLY IT IS PROTECTED.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service