I just want to know who here is like me and is the first and only known Type 1 in your entire family.

I'm talking you have no known diabetic parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, cousins, nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts, ancestors, or family pets.

OK maybe pets.

You get the idea...so who else is a complete freak of nature?

Tags: DHF, cause, chosen, type1

Views: 9567

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's me.

My family learned what type 1 diabetes was the day that I was diagnosed.

So I would like to join the freak of nature, "can't blame it on the genes", club!
OK your T-shirt is on it's way.
Unfortunately, no... there are no pills for the type 1 diabetic. There are some doctors out there who are ignorant of this as well. I was prescribed Resulin when it first came out (NOT by an endo., but by a HACKey-quack who nearly cost me my life) So... I took it ONCE... and got SOOOOO sick, it was a waking nightmare!!!! Then, when I looked into it... it was for type 2... AND it was melting people's livers.
THAT'S why I know there is a creator... because here I am, liver in tact and no brain damage or other "known" ill effects from that encounter.
BEWARE of docs bearing pills!
Jeff,

I too was a type 1 37 years and some dumb a&%$ Dr. gave me Resulin. Talk about sick! My A1C got up to almost a 10. I will never go to a Dr. that is not a Endo for my diabetes again.

I agree it is SO annoying to hear those misconceptions all the time and especially from family members who should know better!

My sentiments EXACTLY!!

Me, too! Me, too!

My family STILL doesn't understand what Type 1 diabetes is, eight years after my diagnosis. Of course, I was 40 when I was diagnosed but still . . .

I'm somewhat of the black sheep of the family and me having diabetes is further proof that my genes really ARE different. :) There isn't anyone as far back and as distantly related as we can find who has had Type 1 or Type 2. I'm the only one.

(BTW, black sheep is a very good thing in my case.)
Sounds just like my family. I am the Black Sheep; a proud one.
22+ gene mutations have to be in sink for T1...not too likely, except for recently we have seen an increase in incidence suggesting the environmental "trigger" is significant:) I wonder when I hear that 2+ kids in the same family have T1.
Where can I find information about the 22+ gene mutations? Do you have a link to a reference? I've always understood that T1 was a combination of genetics and environment, but never the specifics around gene mutation.
Thanks
My understanding genetically there are 18 genetic locations-- IDDM 1-IDDM18 BUT IDDM 1 contains --HLA (human leukocyte antigen) and this area is the affect the immune response. Unfortunately this research on genetics can not give that as the cause and thus the reason environmental triggers came into play...(University of Maryland Medical Center)

Im it; got diagnosed during a physical in HS 1980 . No one on either side,15 cousins and none of their kids. My mom's side only one type 2. I am an anomaly.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service