I just want to know who here is like me and is the first and only known Type 1 in your entire family.

I'm talking you have no known diabetic parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, cousins, nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts, ancestors, or family pets.

OK maybe pets.

You get the idea...so who else is a complete freak of nature?

Tags: DHF, cause, chosen, type1

Views: 10427

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My daughter was 1st T1 in our family but several people in family have auto-immune problems. She was dx'd 1 year after breaking her arm. I am think there may be a connection between infection/injury and immune system over reaction attacking pancreas.

Me - Tammy!!No one although my Mom is borderline type 2 only recently. I'm 43 and got it when I was around 15. I was first & only juvenile diabetic. mom didn't get type 2 until recently (last year or 2). I also have keinbock's of the right lunate(very rare-was about 25 years old when got it-) amomg other things! I watch my diabetes very closely. Today I went in fore what I thought was a detached retina. They ended up doing laser surgery due to bleeders in one eye(new capillaries had formed & were bleedin). Always thought with tight contro; it wouldn't happen but.... 80% of diabetics, even under the tightest control tend to get it with in about 15 years. I've made it almost 30... until now. Anyway I'm getting off subject, sorry!
I've also heard didderent possible causes, For instance, a bee sting or allergic reaction. I've only had one bee sting in my life and I was highly allergic! I will never know, but I think of it as from that...maxing out my endocrine system!

I'm the black sheep (in more ways than one!). Diagnosed in 1970 - no one in my family had or has it.

I am the only person in my family with type 1 diabetes. Since I was diagnosed 27 years ago, I have had grandparents on both sides and even my mom become type 2 diabetics. However, at the time, no one in my family had to deal with this...

Yep, I am the only one. A very large family at that. My grandma on ma's side and one aunt (of 13 kids) has type 2. I was diagnosed in 2007 when I went to the doc because my urine smelled like maple syrup. I was in ketoacidosis.

Because I have moved back to the US since then I have had to argue with a couple of doctors about my diagnosis. Fortunately I have test results from Cambridge research study that show that I am definitely type 1 and not 2. Believe it or not, I've still had a doc argue with me over my diagnosis.

One little thing I learned that also would have woken the doctors up. type 2 diabetics rarely get ketones.

Thanks Scott, I'll remember that at my new doctor's appointment. Maybe it won't be such a fight.

Yep that's me!
The number of times nurses' have stared in disbelief at me when I tell them I have no type 1 or even 2 relatives! I hadn't even heard of type 1 until I got it and I spent the next 2 days in hospital thinking I had a terminal illness that would mean I would spend the rest of my short life in hospital never eating sugar... how wrong was I!?

Me too! Only one in my close family. Recently one of my aunts told me that my great-great-grandma had it :/
I had no clue about what Diabetes even was, when my dad (a doctor) made me run tests and told me my sugars were reaaally high I responded "That's explains why I'm so sweet!" Then when we visited the Endo and he told me I had Late Onset Juvenile Diabetes and that I had to go on insulin injections my mom begged me no to take that first injection "Once you start injecting you can never stop" she said... it was so scary but after 8 years now I can laugh and say well duh!

Hi, i am the same no one in my family has diabetes but I have had type 1 for nearly 50 yrs. Members of my family and some close friends still have no idea that i am diabetic even all these years on it is treated by some people like the plague. I have an insulin pump and a CGM and Hba1C of 5.9 so all in all things are good. Its not easy but who said it would be!!! lol

After I was diagnosed T1 at age 15, there was one old lady in my church who would always mosey up to me with this expression on her face like she thought I was dying. "How're you doin' sweetie?" she would always ask. I always responded that I was fine...I couldn't understand what the big deal was for people. As a kid, I didn't really take this disease seriously (I never ended up in the hospital with DKA either) but then my mom finally explained that back in that old lady's day (ie: the 40's) diabetes was like a death sentence.

There is no history of diabetes in my family whatsoever. Last year I was diagnosed Type 1 at age 40. The same weekend one of my brothers, aged 39, was also diagnosed with Type 1. Weird huh?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service