I just want to know who here is like me and is the first and only known Type 1 in your entire family.

I'm talking you have no known diabetic parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, cousins, nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts, ancestors, or family pets.

OK maybe pets.

You get the idea...so who else is a complete freak of nature?

Tags: DHF, cause, chosen, type1

Views: 9896

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep...just me. My cat actually was diabetic too though :)

One week before I got married I was diagnosed with Type 1 and yes no one else in my family has any type of diabetes. That was 30 years ago and have been on the pump since Dec. 2011. I wish I started it sooner!!

I'm the only one, for generations apparently. Noone recalls there ever being another T1 on both sides, EVER.

I am the only one in my family with type 1, there are several with type 2

Have been type 1 for 21 years, also diagnosed with prostate cancer this past Christmas, it has spread thru out my body, been treated with hormone therapy drugs but it seems time to talk about chemo. Also hyperthyroidism, having that removed with radioiodine therapy. Was running 5 -10k a day now can barely make it thru a work day. So yes mutant freak, nobody else has anything in my family.

Virtual hugs and prayers for you, Dave.

Add me to the list. My husband is a T1 as well, but I have zero blood relatives that are T1. A lot of T2, though.

7 years ago at the age of 50 I was diagnosed with diabetes it was sudden onset. My Doctor had been testing me because my older sister was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes but she weighted 280 pounds and shes only 5'2. NOTHING ever suggested in the test that I was Diabetic. I was not over weight and was very active. I was told I was a Type 2 because of my age. My treatment started out with oral meds but soon went insulin ( within a month ). For the last 7 years my treatment was based on me being a Type 2 Diabetic. I did everything they told me to do but still struggled with lack of control. I changed Doctors and after 1 test I was told I am Type 1. My pancreas does not produce any insulin. After being in the care of this new Doctor my Diabetes is for the first time under control YAAAAAAAAAAA!!! My A1C went from 9.8 to a 6.5.

Diabetes does not run in my family, so how does a 50 year old develop Type 1. The Doctors are still scratching their heads

Yep I'm the 1. I was diagnosed at 10 years old I'm now 50. Everyone in the family is healthy. Recently my 23 year old son was diagnosed hypoglycemic which doesn't run in the family either. To celebrate both the big 50 and my 40th diabetes anniversary I am riding in a JDRF Ride To Cure Diabetes event in Vermont. I chose this ride because it is about the same time as my diagnosis. I will be riding my bike 100 miles through ride.jdrf.org Kitt Dickey

It was worse for me. I worked hard to lose the 100lb I gained from undiagnosed hypothyroidism only to be diagnosed T1 at 37 - and then 2 months later, finding out I was an insulin-resistant T1, so basically I not only didn't avoid the T2, but I got double diabetes. Crap.

I am!!!! no one knew about type 1 diabetes till lucky me got diagnosed
!!!!!! That will be 7 years ago July 3rd.

I am the only type 1 diabetic in my entire family tree which dates back a long way since I am from England originally. You're not a freak of nature at all. Since diabetes is an autoimmune disease it can and does strike after a virus or after another immune compromising event. I was diagnosed about 3 months after a virus had my temp up near 107 that pretty much wiped out my islet cells. But on the positive side, I have found after 37 years that non-familial diabetes is somewhat easier to deal with and if you take really good care of yourself you can avoid the vast majority of complications.
Clare

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service