Anyone have diabetes caused by being on a medication like zyprexa?

No one in my family is diabetic and I wasn't diabetic until about 4 years ago. I had a psychologist decide to put me on zyprexa and within 3 months of being on it I was diagnosed with diabetes. This was before Eli Lilly put the warning label on the medication. I am currently waiting to hear back from my lawyers on how much settlement money I am getting. Anyone that has been diagnosed with diabetes from a medication needs to contact a lawyer soon, this is the last year for lawsuits on most of the medications, I do know seraquel is another one that causes diabetes.

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

KINDA, sorta, maybe. I was put on Cymbalta - another charming Eli Lilly medication. I had asked for something after my Dad died... and Zoloft didn't help much. I was unaware that several people in my family had been diagnosed recently with Bipolar II disorders. And you don't give anti-depressants to Bipolar people. The Cymbalta works on not one, but TWO of the neurotransmitters in the brain at once (great huh?). So, when it didn't work, the family medicine guy (Oh yeah, just who should be handing out this stuff, right?) doubled the dose! By the time that my cousin called me and let me know that she had been diagnosed as Bipolar & clued me in and I thought to check it out - I had gained 50 pounds in 5 months! I was incredibly depressed - had not been out of the house in ages. In getting off it - I had withdrawal seizures - it took weeks to get me off it! Turns out I had been a "mild" case of Bipolar all my life, NOW I'm a "rapid cycler" all thanks to Eli Lily's wonder drug Cymbalta - luckily my family knew that Topomax at high doses works for us (and also curbs appetite). BUT, with the weight gain, they found my A1c was 7.3 and my blood sugar was 170 - my triglycerides were very high and I was diagnosed a Type II Diabetic. Was I headed there before the Cymbalta? Maybe - I'm not sure - but the weight gain sure as hell didn't help a damn bit & I am not happy about it! There's quite a few people who've had problems with with Lilly's psych meds - we aren't the only ones, Cody. Good luck pursuing a case, I think a class action is pending on some of these, too.
I already know my case is settling. My law firm contacted me last month and told me it would be settling sometime this month. So at least Eli Lilly is giving me something for waht they did
Good - I'm glad! Those drug companies should PAY! Perhaps I should talk to an attorney too, you give me motivation, good for you!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service