All this talk about Dr. Bernstein, A1C's below 6, and low carbing for better diabetic health, I was wondering how many people on this board actually low carb.

I know what carbs to avoid, etc, but for the most part I do not low carb, do you?

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wow, this discussion surely is an example of YDMV - "Your diabetes may vary"!
I am a proud low carber, lol. In three months' time, I was able to bring my A1C down from 14.7 to 5.8 by adhering to 35 grams of carbs or less each day. I also do calorie and sugar restrictions, staying under 1400 calories and 25 grams sugar each day. I'm awaiting results from recent bloodwork to see if this low carb/low cal/high protein diet had any impact on my cholesterol levels - I'll check back and give y'all the results once I find out. ;)

I was diagnosed as a Type 1 diabetic when I was placed into the ICU on October 30 of 2008. However, now I have my PCP and endo both questioning that diagnosis because my bg readings have improved so much, often being on the low side if I'm not careful. My PCP has talked with me about considering oral medication instead of (or possibly with) insulin; I have an appointment Thursday with him and will know more then. I had been able to lower my insulin dosages prior to taking statins to lower my cholesterol. (I tried three different brands.) The statins had a very negative impact on my bg - especially fasting, and I have been off them for almost two months now and am still trying to regain ground that I lost because they raised my bg readings so much. I haven't lost any weight lately, but I don't blame it on my diet, as several of the meds I am taking actually cause weight gain. Also, with a diagnosis of fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and irritable bowel syndrome, my exercise level has dropped immensely from when I was first diagnosed as a diabetic. I am hoping to resume exercise again soon, as I've started acupuncture for the fibro pain - it's also worked to control my appetite.

Just for what it's worth - Dr. B is a genius in my eyes. I'm grateful to have found his work and writings so early on in my diagnosis - and I'm also very grateful for a PCP that supports my decision to practice living life low carb. I've had many folks who have questioned my decision to go low carb, but honestly - I've had more who support (and practice) low carb. To me, it just makes better sense to lower carb intake and lower insulin requirements than to continue high carbs and have to raise insulin requirements because of them.
Hi There;

well all I can tell you about low carbing is that it definitely effects your sugar level . My diet is as follows :

Mornings :
Joghurt with a Coffee

Snack : maybe a fruit /juice/ nuts / or nothing

Lunch :
Vegetable Soup / Chicken broth in the cup

Snack : maybe a fruit / juice / nuts / or nothing

Dinner :
Either
A large salad of my choice with green leaves / tomatoes etc..
Chicken Brest / Turkey Breast or Tuna
Olive oil and Balsamic Vinegar

or
Steamed season vegetables with chicken breast

I consume approximately 100 -150 Carbs per day.
I dont know if there are people who consume less without feeling dizzy ...?

I am also doing 1-2 hours gym ( 5-6 days per week )

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service