How many of you out there get a little depressed when you are shopping for groceries? I know that it's not what we eat but how much and what. I went shopping the other day with my family and it hadn't been a good day anyway, as I watched my husband and my children get the things that they wanted (i was in a why me mode. it doesn't happen much) i was thinking why can't i eat that too?
So I got to thinking (i don't do that much lol) i can eat that stuff i just have to watch my portions, so i changed my attitude. I bought some apple, and some crachers and nuts, and a spread for the crackers.
Sometimes i just forget that i control this thing.

thanks for listening. You may have your soap box back. LOL

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Angela,
I know exactly what you mean. Most of the time, I don't feel too sorry for myself, but sometimes in the grocery store I just feel like crying. I especially felt that way when I was first diagnosed and realised there was nothing in the way of prepared foods, snacks and baked goods that I could eat and still have normal blood sugars. I do get tired of having to cook everything from scratch, and right now I just wish I could eat a nice crisp fall apple without having to take insulin or exercise afterwards. At least I can now take insulin and that does increase my options but I still try and keep reasonably low carb or else my BG goes high anyway. Good for you for changing your attitude and getting some healthy treats for yourself. The other day I bought some out-of-season fresh blueberries because I love putting them in low-carb pancakes. Sometimes we just have to treat ourselves.
thank you for your reply. I'm glad i'm not the only one that feels this way. :-)
The more we learn about what is IN packaged foods, the happier I am that I stopped buying them or serving them to my kids back in 1998!

There are hints that the so-called "obesity epidemic" may be partially caused by the huge amount of high fructose corn syrup in packaged foods. Trans fats which are also in them are definitely linked with heart disease, and despite the claims of "0 transfat" on many labels, if you look in the ingredient list, you'll still see hydrogenated fats and oils prominently displayed.

Then there are all the "franken-food" additives and texturizers that all come from China, which are probably laden with industrial chemicals, solvents, and who knows what else.

Finally there is a ton of soy derivatives, which study after study shows lower thyroid function and apparently promote gut disorders, and food allergies, as well as a bunch of other endocrine effects.

It's really worth the extra time you spend cooking to know what it is that you are feeding the family. Whether or not they have diabetes!
Jenny is right, the stuff she listed that is in most of todays foods does not help the toxicity of many people's blood and can be a partial cause of that toxicity, depending on the person. Also, the more I learn about soy, the more I stray away from it. It should be eaten in minor amounts, if any, like meat.

Your family should be choosing what you eat instead ;)
For kids like me who grew up latch-key kids in the 80s, a lot of those Franken-Foods are comfort foods for us. It is deeply ingrained and hard to get rid of. My brain knows that the stuff is terrible for me, but decisions about food are not always made with brain engaged. This is an ongoing struggle for me.
I felt kind of like that when I was first diagnosed. But after a while, I realized that fresh food tastes way better than the packaged stuff. I allow myself a taste of stuff I really like once in a while...like a bite of sausage or a chicken nugget, but other than those rare treats, I like my food fresh. It can take a while to acquire the taste for fresh foods like veggies but I think once you get it, there's no turning back. Definitely there are times when I want to munch on something I know I should not munch on, and it takes all the willpower in the world to resist temptation. But like Libby, I think it's perfectly okay to have a treat every now and then.
Hello, Angela!

I know how you feel. I could sometimes swear that those Cadbury bars are calling to me whenever I pass by then at the supermarket aisle. We know that "indulge" should be thrown out the window.

Then again, a teensy-weensy bite should not hurt every now and then, I suppose...
I miss the oatmeal creme pies. I use visual aides to keep me motivated to manage my weight and my diabetes.

Me in 2004

Me in 8/2008
I know what you mean, I hated grocery shopping before I was diagnosed and it has only gotten worse siince then. Now it is even worse because there are so many things I can't eat, not only because of the D, but because I had my teeth pulled and am waiting for my dentures. I am a firm believer in all things in moderation and try to live by that rule. As long as you don't pig out and over eat, watch your portions, and then you should be able to enjoy just about anything. take care.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service