hi, how many of you trying to get under 7, let me know, have great day

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On 80 units of insulin last A!c was 5.6% no problem with lows.
Through low carb, exercise, and tight control, my last A1c was 5.4 - my goal is to stay below 6.
My last A1C test (Oct) was 6. My goal is in the range 5... level (at least for my next test).
hey teena isnt that going to low, to have complications down the road,did you check with your doc, let me know
Type 2 here. I started with A1C of 9...when first diagnosed more than 2 years now. 8 months after it was 6.6 a year after it was 6.1 Just last Oct it was 6. My doctor reduced meds dosages already. Before it was metformin 500 mg and glimiperide 2mg twice daily to just metformin 500 mg once daily (gradually though for 2 years now). My long term goal is to manage my diabetes by just diet and exercise (if possible). Hopefully (although its "Food season now") I can go bit lower in the range of 5 (like 5.9) by January 30 which is my next blood work. Its not easy...but my doctor says its possible....Just like the "Little engine that could" says..."I think I can...I think I can...I think I can,...." =)
Ive been under 7...but it seems my sugar tests have been awful lately. Like my metformin has stopped working. I need a new A1c and need to do something drastic. Im scared...and trying to ignore it...
hey carl nice to meet you, better get back on track, diabetes nothing to play with ,you have great day
Hi Carl,

More Type 2s are using insulin when Metformin & other meds don't work. Hope you'll discuss this option with your endo. Insulin will get your BG under better control & preserve your beta cells.

Understand being scared, but please, please don't ignore it.
I second Gerry. the longer you wait before the insulin the more damage to your pancreas and the harder the diabetes will be to control. It will become your worst nightmare is the pancreas dies completely.
As I posted previously, my goal is to remain <6 and my last A1c was 5.4. For those who say there's "no way" to accomplish that without insulin, I say, why not? If I had known "then" what I know now, I would have started insulin much sooner. In my opinion, it is much safer - and more "natural" - than a lot of the oral meds T2s take and I'm pretty convinced that my beta cells burned out sooner because of these meds. In any event, control is control - whether you can do it with diet, exercise, meds, insulin - the important thing is to control it in order to avoid long term complications.
I'm a T1 diabetic, diagnosed in 1984. Up until about three years ago my A1c ran in the 6% range. In the last three years my A1c moved higher. It first moved to the low 7% area then moved up to as high as 8.5%.

I could not offer a reasonable cause of this upward A1c move so I worked with my doctors to rule out infections and heart disease, two main suspects. Once these two principal causes were eliminated I began to closely monitor my eating, blood sugar numbers, and exercise. It appears that I just needed to return to the basics and match my carb intake with appropriate insulin as well as get out for a vigorous walk most days of the week.

Doing that, combined with starting on a Dexcom continuous glucose monitor, my A1c dropped to 7.2% then to 6.5% at the last test. I believe my next A1c result (based on my 24/7 Dexcom numbers) will come in at closer to 6%.

I am studying and considering a low carb diet to drive my A1c down to 5.5% (that's an average BG of about 111 mg/dl). That is my ultimate goal.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service