Will Dubois is a Diabetes Author, Educator and Advocate and a diabetes patient himself. He dedicates his life to help people with diabetes in rural New Mexico, as Diabetes Coordinator at the Pecos Valley Medical Center. He has written a book called "Taming The Tiger", meant to help people during their first year with diabetes.

Will likes to compare diabetes to a tiger. He asks patients, “Can you have a pet tiger? Sure you can. As long as you feed it well, groom it, and never turn your back on it, you can coexist with a tiger in your living room. But if you neglect the tiger, starve it, turn your back on it – the tiger will pounce on you and tear you to shreds. Diabetes is the tiger. Feed it right. Take care of it right. And the two of you will live just fine together.”

He has generously made the book available as a free download on this site: http://www.diabetes-without-borders.org

Tags: PDF, book, ebook, free, newly-diagnosed, reading, reference, resource

Views: 1556

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great book! Thank you for posting! I'm sharing it on Facebook and Twitter! :)
I didn't get much help in the first few months after diagnosis - until I discovered Will. He set me on the path of taking control of my diabetes and being more assertive when I wanted more information or wanted to challenge the advice I was receiving. Thank you Will - you are a life saver.

It is also worth mentioning that, as well as making this book available for free, Will is trying to get it translated into as many languages as possible so, if you've got the talent, maybe you could tick on over and volunteer to help out. I know that someone is going to appreciate your help.

Wow, good stuff. It's been hard for me to get past that whole media thing of this being all my fault. We as American's (or at least the people around here) are not very nice to diabetics. Even my closest friends and family have given me that "looks like this is your fault" kind of look. It's been rough but at least I feel like I've grown as a person. Maybe along the way I can help others in the same way.

OMG - YES! Have been too ashamed to tell family or even close friends for that reason. Phew.

I've just been diagnosed and I found your book enlightening. Thanks for making it available!

Hi Love the metaphor...Couldnt download Taming the Tiger, any help?

Hello,
I'm sorry, but when I downloaded your book, the pages came up blank. I waited a few minutes to see if it would show text, but did not, so I reloaded it. Still no text.
Can you help me with this issue? I'm sure it's not my computer, as it's new and I've had no issue with this type of download.
Thank you in advance.
TSTS

I really wanted to check out the book too & the same thing happened. I went to Barnes & Noble & the only copy was online for $80, so....still interested but price shy. Will u let me know if u r able to download, eventually Thanks Patricia

Thanks for sharing this E-book with us! I read it and will take it to heart . Hopefully I won't need medication if I just learn to eat properly.

Psyched:) Taming the Tiger text is visible/readable online. Thank You

OMG... I thought I "already knew" all of this. Totally wrong. This is helping me know that I am not alone. Tears, tears, tears full of RELIEF.

I didn't even realize how afraid I've been. Holy cow.

This book is a gem. A zen guide to dealing with this illness. Here's my big gift from diabetes: it motivated me to lost 105 pounds. I'd been trying for a long time, but diabetes (the rock wall falling on my head). Need to read more about journaling and testing,

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service