Ok Folks I feel a rant coming on. Not a send the children out of the room rant but still a rant.

I went the doctor today and had my best visit ever. A1C was 5.9. BP was 128 over 72. Cholesterol was 152 and triglycerides were at normal levels. So why the rant? Well that starts at the check-out window.

The doctor instructions ask that I return in 4 months for a follow-up and that I schedule a physical. Well Ok then, that sounds reasonable. So I ask the receptionist to schedule the physical at the next visit and we will kill two birds with one stone. Oh we can't do that was her reply. Those are separate items and will require two separate appointments. I ask her if we can make two separate appointments back to back. You guessed it NO was the answer. They must be on different days. No matter how hard I tried she would not budge so I gave up and scheduled the appointments.

Now it's later in the day and I remembered that I had wanted to ask the Doc about some knee problems I'm having. But I was so happy with my results that I let the doctor get away before I remembered. So I called my friendly receptionist and explained my knee problem and ask if we could make the physical ASAP so I could get some help for my knees. Oh we can't do that knee problems are a different issue and you will need a different appointment. That's when I lost it. Had I not been in a good mood because of the good test results I would have went ballistic but I didn't and I was polite but I told her in many different ways that I thought their policies were ridiculous and that she should cancel all my appointment till they hear further from me.

So here's the rant part. What am I a cash register with good insurance. O goodie a diabetic follow-up Ker Ching . Oh and a physical Ker Ching. Knee problems too Ker Ching, Ker Ching, Ker Ching, Multiple and duplicate lab test, These poor diabetics don't mind they are used to being stuck and his insurance is good for it. Ker Ching. Gas is cheap and he won't mind missing work. Ker Ching

Does anyone else feel the way I do.

I'm sitting here trying to decide if I will go back to this doctor. I really liked him. But it wouldn't be the first time I have cut off my nose to spite my face

Gary S.

Views: 1034

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The whole situation sounds ridiculous. I'm in Alberta, Canada and I face similar obstacles. Doctors here will only deal with 2 problems per appointment. So if you have a sore back, require a physical for work, and want to discuss your irregular blood sugars, you cannot do so in one visit.

I think it's for the money, and no other reason. The doc gets paid for each visit.

It's a shame that greed trumps common sense. I am lucky to have a non-north american doctor.

Not all north american doctors are like that. There are some that understand financial situations and will work with a patient. Mine will and I'm in the US.

Ok everyone I ended my original post by saying that I'm was trying to decide if I will go back to this doctor. Well I made another appointment today. It took me a month to decide that I wouldn't be any better off by switching doctors.

As most of you have probably guessed I haven't always been the ideal patient. I have spent the majority of my life trying to avoid the medical profession but had decided to try harder with this doctor to be a good patient. I have spent so much of my time trying to avoid the system that I didn't know how the system works.

So I'm going to try again. I'm going to use the knowledge gained from this experience and hopefully will know what to expect from now on. Wish me luck.

Gary S

Maybe it would help to step away from the doctor, I mean still go see him, but give yourself a "promotion" and think of running your own show? We sort of do that anyway and, once you are just telling the doctor "I need this refilled" and not anticipating a lot, perhaps you'll find it more fun to go see them?

I think you have read my mind, That is just what I intend to do. I have decided to take charge. I just hope I'm a better patient for myself than I am for the doctors.

Gary S

I think that it helps to look at it like a video game, and just keep chipping away at the "Space Invaders", one at a time?

Good comparison, Space Invaders is the only video game I was ever any good at. Tells you how old I am, my video game expercience ended with the Atari.
Gary S

What I wonder is whether they are being manipulated by insurance rules. Insurance companies have all kinds of rules about what a doctor can charge for in a given visit, and it is possible that if you went in for a sore knee, then the ins. co. would refuse the payment for the physical. Just guessing here, but I'm not entirely convinced it's your doc's fault. Maybe you could politely ask for their reasoning to refuse to combine a diabetes visit with a physical?

The IDC-9 (I think they might be up to 10 now too?) codes just have 5 levels of service, ranging from dropping by to a life-threatening emergency. I think that a lot of docs are sort of inclined to give up unless you give them absolutely detailed records, spelling out food, exercise, activity, stress and all other factors. Otherwise, they look at your A1C and go "hmmmm" and go on to the next one?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service