Usually, when I go low, I have no trouble eating (I'm the queen of the low-induced kitchen raid!). But twice in the last few days, I have had a "nauseous low," that is, a low blood sugar accompanied by extreme nausea. I had one yesterday and it nearly scared me to death. I was home alone and was so nauseous that I couldn't even fathom putting anything in my mouth. I was in the low 50s and dropping, and I knew I needed to eat something, but my stomach was so upset that I actually contemplated breaking out a glucagon kit and using it! I finally managed to choke down some juice, but I was so scared I was going to throw it back up (thankfully, it stayed down).

Does anyone else have this happen sometimes? Has anyone found something that works when they're in this scary low+nauseous state?

Views: 289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It has happened to me a couple of times and is scary as all get out. One time I knew I could not get tabs down and went for the lemon gluco-gel. I'm one of those wierdos who love the taste. Another time I was alone when the "barfable low" hit and between that and neurological symptoms - panic and oncoming confusion - I went with the glucagon. Naturally between the shot and my own glucagon dump I shot from 36 to 587 in about 2 hours but as wretched as I felt I was alive to tell the tale.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Don't let this get around, but sometimes I actually like the taste of the orange glucotabs. They are like giant smarties! I've given myself glucagon a couple of times before, but that was always when I became sick after bolusing. And the side effects of that were not too fun.

I thought I was the only one that liked the taste of glucotabs. I also like the raspberry - keep it under your hat!

hahaha ok I must not be weird either, lol they ARE like giant smarties. I also like eating cherry rolaids too. LOL. Im weird I know.

With lows I get slightly nauseated and have difficulty chewing. A teaspoon of honey helps to get the BG on the way up, another if necessary, finally a DanActive (regular, not light). I carry mini York Mint Patties in my purse for away from home. Glucose tabs just don't seem to work for me.

I also get nauseated but only after having several lows a day and I cant seem to get anything in no matter how tempting it may be I just dont feel like taking anything. I dont do the glucose tabs cause like Trudy I feel as if they dont work for me they take forever to raise my glucose when I do use them I use the Dex4. I end up drinking a glass of milk that works really fast for me I dont drink juice. I never have any at home not even for emergency I just dont like the taste of it its too much sugar!

oh, i'm so sorry to hear. yes, i usually always get nauseous when I'm below 60's...i've actually thrown up too. i asked my endo about it because i was concerned...it's normal and comes with a huge headache and weakness. i had one yesterday as well, just low 60's (in the middle of starbucks) felt like I was going to pass out because it was a huge, sudden drop. i ate jelly beans, they're small and i could keep them down. i actually came back home and had to lie down for a bit before heading back out.

I have never had nausea but I do get really nasty headaches after a low. This has been particularly true when the wife has done the glucagon injection. They bring my sugar up but whack me out for some reason.

Coke is really a great thing when ur going low. It has ALWAYS worked for me.

Coke works for me too when I'm having a nauseating low. Something about the carbonation I guess just like when you're sick as a child and you sip coke and eat saltines.

Coke and gatorade are my go-tos when I'm dropping into a low fast although I'm not a fan of the taste of gatorade. I rely on jelly beans to bump up approaching lows.

It helps that my husband MUST have "regular" coke in the house when all I have is diet coke here! LOL! I tend to get into his at that time! LOL!

Ah, yes, Ginger Ale!! That's what I need to get!!! Thanks for the reminder. It's the one thing I can usually choke down when sick. Of course, I'd need regular for this :-)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service