While I know that many of us have negative feelings about our diabetes, there's the complications, side effects of medication, etc., I try my very best to stay positive (in all aspects of life, but especially when it comes to my T1D) even when I am absolutely fed up with the constant monitoring, testing, injecting, etc.. My experience with the disease has been anything but easy, so please do not think I am being glib...
You may think I am nuts, but sometimes I am thankful for it - I like to think that we do not get handed anything in life we cannot handle - because it has taught me a lot. Diabetes has shown me things about myself I may never have discovered, it has shown me a lot about other people, and it has given me an appreciation for life that I think MOST people (Ds and nonDs alike) ignore. My husband sometimes jokes that if I can "go" (I like the fullest plate I can handle - not of food, but of life!) like I go and have diabetes, he fears what I would do absent of diabetes ;)
So I ask, am I alone? Or, is there something positive you can say about the diabetes in your life (whether your own or someone you care about)? Has it taught you something you do not think you would have learned without being diabetic?

Tags: attitude, gratitude, positive, thankful

Views: 1945

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have seen a few posts like this on this site, and I always think the same thing... "how in the world can one be thankful for T1D??". I am (usually) not one to feel bad for myself. I know that it could be so much worse. But I can only think that my life would have been better if I haven't had to spend a large portion of it pricking my fingers, giving myself numbers, worrying about what I'm eating, etc. etc.

My mom told me that T1D made me a stronger person. Perhaps that is true, but I guess we will never really know for sure since I can't compare with a non-diabetic version of myself. I think that perhaps it has made me more laid back. I rarely let things bother me too much, and maybe that is because I have had to deal with all of the trials of D since I was a child.

Mostly I am just thankful that I have been lucky and it is not worse. I have a relatively normal life - I have a job, a husband, I'm going to grad school... Maybe D has helped me achieve these things. Maybe not. But I always have a hard time being thankful for D.

I understand struggling to be thankful for T1D - when I (personally) say I am thankful for it I mean it has brought something to my life and that I was able to take something from that...the something I try to take is always positive (learning from a negative/bad experience is still a positive/good thing)...I am also thankful for the 'filter' it provides (not that I employ it to do so, it just sort of does that all on its own), some people (my entire family) cannot handle being around a PWD...

For me life is all about perspective - at 19 I went DKA, had a heart attack and flat lined for over 7 minutes...that led to a coma, the doctors prepared my family (the little that was around and now there is none) for me not to wake up and if I did, they were to make preparations to have me looked after...but I did wake up, I suffered extensive memory loss, but I am here; I would rather have D and wake up on the 'right' side of the dirt...

At least you have found something positive/to be thankful for - D or no D, you are blessed with a family and the opportunity to go out and life a relatively normal life :)

>> and wake up on the 'right' side of the dirt...

Awesome. Stealing that.

/\/\

Totally steal it - it is something my grandmother used to say (she passed last fall at 94 after suffering heart failure for years) and it would make her pleased as punch to have it used :D

Thankful for D? No way. I think it would be a rare person or situation to be thankful for a condition like this. Maybe even a little warped. But, the challenges we face can bring positive results to our lives. Like any challenge can and, for the most part, does. Sometimes you have to look for the positive to realize it is there. Sometimes it just sneaks up on you. When we refuse to aknowledge it we can be caught in the darkness of our problem. The same is true for our family and friends. To be abandoned by them is a sad and shameful commentary on their existence.

I do not think I am warped and take a bit of offense to that - I am thankful because for me the alternative to being diagnosed w/D was death.

Sorry Bec. Not what I meant. Just that D itself, the disease, is not a thing most people would be thankful for. And, most definately, I am not saying you are warped. Although it is something I have been called many times.

Touched is what I normally get ;)

Didn't mean to be "titchy" - just got bummed out by the sudden influx of negativity in my posivite space...LOL

No problem, comes with the territory. We all cope differently. I hate this disease and how I have to plan everything I do around how it will affect my BG. I am saddened by the complications and how they restrict my activities. But, dwelling on these will only make me bitter and contribute NOTHING to the betterment of my life. I do not see a positive outlook as Pollyanna, but as pragmatic.

Nothing wrong w/being pragmatic - and it totally sucks sometimes...like this morning, every Friday my lil' guy and I venture to the pool, but not today bc I couldn't keep my BGs above 4. Anyways, we stayed home and built a fort instead!

Bec, some of my best childhood memories are of the forts that we used to build! Love building memories with little ones. :)

the added awareness of health issues is certainly a prime reason. When you have to be on top your gave all the time, everyday, you learn something valuable.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Where are you Medicare? The elephant was not in the room

This was the question burning in people’s mind and passionately talked about yesterday and today at the General Sessions of the AACE/ACE Consensus Conference on Glucose Monitoring, an event to bring together in Washington, DC all relevant stakeholders to Read on! →

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service