While I know that many of us have negative feelings about our diabetes, there's the complications, side effects of medication, etc., I try my very best to stay positive (in all aspects of life, but especially when it comes to my T1D) even when I am absolutely fed up with the constant monitoring, testing, injecting, etc.. My experience with the disease has been anything but easy, so please do not think I am being glib...
You may think I am nuts, but sometimes I am thankful for it - I like to think that we do not get handed anything in life we cannot handle - because it has taught me a lot. Diabetes has shown me things about myself I may never have discovered, it has shown me a lot about other people, and it has given me an appreciation for life that I think MOST people (Ds and nonDs alike) ignore. My husband sometimes jokes that if I can "go" (I like the fullest plate I can handle - not of food, but of life!) like I go and have diabetes, he fears what I would do absent of diabetes ;)
So I ask, am I alone? Or, is there something positive you can say about the diabetes in your life (whether your own or someone you care about)? Has it taught you something you do not think you would have learned without being diabetic?

Tags: attitude, gratitude, positive, thankful

Views: 1930

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feel like I'm answering for everybody here and I don't mean to put words into people's mouths.

I don't think that statements like these are an attack on your point of view, just like your statement that having negative feelings about diabetes is a waste of time is not a personal attack on my point of view. It's how we feel and the feelings are honest.

They are just different points of views. I generally don't post to these types of threads because I really don't have much good to say about diabetes.

Diabetes is a terrible thing though and, in this case, I think it's important to state that feeling hatred towards something so terrible is okay. Whether that hatred lasts a minute or the rest of your life is irrelevent.

Regardless, like Randy says, you have to do what you have to do. That's the important thing that we all have in common.

I am not looking at them like an attack nor am I trying to launch an attack; I have shared many of the feelings all of those who do not have a positive view point of D (my comment about negative feelings was in response to being told that my positivity was a waste of time and strictly personal - I do not think everyone has to look at it like me, I only wanted to offer another perspective) - in my statements I have been (or at least tried to be) very clear that they are my personal feelings, and I apologize if my reactions are in any way off-putting bc I certainly do not mean them to be.
I have been very respectful to all the posts - but cannot help but be disappointed that so much negativity came in to something that was meant to be positive.

I was not trying to be a grammer Nazi in my previous post, just like I'm not trying to be flippant when I say that a simple "no" does not suffice to express intense hatred for this disease, the same way that a simple "yes" does not suffice to express positivity.

I do understand how dissappointing it must be to hear negativity expressed in your thread but if I have any feelings for my diabetes, they can only be expressed as hatred so maybe it is better to express nothing at all.

Still, I think that if I had posted a thread saying "I Hate my Diabetes", the ensuing posts would have followed a similar trend. We are all diabetics but we will disagree.

Whatever helps us successfully fight this thing is good, even disagreement.

I'm not trying to be glib or flip - if someone had posted a thread saying "I Hate My Diabetes" I would read it and comment appropriately or do as you suggest, say nothing.

Nonetheless, if we did not all have this outlet I am sure we would be a lot worse for it...or at least a lot more full of "it" - so, yes, even disagreement can bring about something positive! :P

thesis + apotheosis = synthesis?

You are right FHS. Terrible life altering, painful things happen to people every day. D is just one of many. In most cases "get over it" and "forget about it" are just not going to happen, ever. The pain and hate can never be completely removed. But some people dwell in those things. When that happens they do become poison and can do great harm to entire families. Choosing not to live that negative life does not eliminate the pain and hate, but it Allows the wounds to heal. I still hate D, but if that were my focus it would have won.

Agreed Randy, well said.

2 1/2 years late on the conversation, but I just gotta pick at one of my favorite nits: "Hate" is a pretty strong term to me. The kinds of things I "hate" are child molesters, sadists that inflict pain and torture on animals or (God forbid) people, you know, stuff like that.

I don't hate diabetes any more than I "hate" my poor eyesight, hearing impairment due to otosclerosis, or any number of other health issues. Diabetes is the worst of them all, and I am really annoyed by it, exhausted by it, angered by it. I could list another dozen negative adjectives.

Hate, though, seems so misplaced to me.

I was not attacking you. I was simply making a statement about the disease that will probably kill me. It sucks and I see absolutely nothing positive about it. That reflects nothing about how I feel about my life. I am quite happy with my life and I feel I have been quite successful in spite of diabetes. Trust me diabetes had nothing to do with my success. I also do not live in denial of the impacts this disease has on my body and my life. I would have loved to known my dad but this disease killed him at 41 and left me without a dad and my mom without a husband. So I will proudly state that diabetes SUCKS.

Bec, I love your attitude, when we cant change things there is no use fighting them, we need to accept and own what ever comes up in our lives in order to be able to live fully this you have done, good for you for being so mature at a young age! amy

Thank you Amy :)

I certainly don't mean to come in here and dump on your thread, so please don't take any of this the wrong way.

There is a lot of positivity here and I'm truly glad that people have found ways to not only live with this terrible disease, but also make some sense of it, and find ways to see the positive. I do appreciate this community for everything it is and the wonderful people here, and in a real sense, I can feel better about my condition because of the what people post here.

The most positive thing about diabetes, though, is that I have learned to accomodate it on a daily basis to the best of my ability. I can't look at a disease that basically says, "In return for not killing you in a relatively fast, yet painful and horrible way, I will kill you slowly over many years if only you will accomodate my every need 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for life. You can hope for better if you dare."

I lead a good life full of satisfaction and contentment, but it is not the life I envisioned for myself before I got diabetes. I do not dwell on what could have been if I didn't have diabetes. I embrace my life as it is. But I also do not credit diabetes for giving me anything that I didn't have the potential to achieve for myself already.

Maybe it's living with it for over 25 years that has given me this perspective. I've come to terms with what I have to do and what it means for me if I don't. I don't need to make anymore sense of it than that.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service