While I know that many of us have negative feelings about our diabetes, there's the complications, side effects of medication, etc., I try my very best to stay positive (in all aspects of life, but especially when it comes to my T1D) even when I am absolutely fed up with the constant monitoring, testing, injecting, etc.. My experience with the disease has been anything but easy, so please do not think I am being glib...
You may think I am nuts, but sometimes I am thankful for it - I like to think that we do not get handed anything in life we cannot handle - because it has taught me a lot. Diabetes has shown me things about myself I may never have discovered, it has shown me a lot about other people, and it has given me an appreciation for life that I think MOST people (Ds and nonDs alike) ignore. My husband sometimes jokes that if I can "go" (I like the fullest plate I can handle - not of food, but of life!) like I go and have diabetes, he fears what I would do absent of diabetes ;)
So I ask, am I alone? Or, is there something positive you can say about the diabetes in your life (whether your own or someone you care about)? Has it taught you something you do not think you would have learned without being diabetic?

Tags: attitude, gratitude, positive, thankful

Views: 1972

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've said this before, but I honestly do not think diabetes has improved my life at all. It has done nothing but limit me. Sure, I can fight through it and try to live a normal life. But when I do succeed, and have a day without any diabetes disasters, The only reward I get is getting to be "average" for a day... woohoo?

The only useful skill it has taught me is carb SWAGing... but that skill is ONLY useful to someone with diabetes! In a normal person, this would be useless information.

maybe I feel this way because I don't have a previous life to compare to my Dlife. But as far as I can tell, this sucks. It sucks financially, emotionally, and even vampirically; those stupid little strips are sucking the life out of me, 5 micro liters at a time.

I'll be first in line when the magic cure appears. I'm counting the seconds as it can't happen fast enough. I am so tortured from the sugar swings. It's just plain wrong and my body and mind tell me every day. For any diabetic that does not feel completely tortured by this you have no idea how lucky you are. If I had the choice of living another life diabetic or never existing at all without a question it would be never existing. When they came up with the word suffering Diabetes was as the top of the list.

I feel tortured some days too - and this disease has tried to take me out twice, but I am still here and I would go through it all again and again...because I get to wake up, draw breath, look at my beautiful boy, peer out the window to a wonderous world full of things to see and do. Would I like to be cured? Yep, sure would - but I also think of people (diagnosed before modern treatment) who never made it as far as some of us have...

Gary, get your BS under control and things will settle down. Don't ever say that you would choose never existing. Watch the movie "it's a wonderful life" without you here there would be a lot of people that would have missed great moments. I've had D nearly my whole life and it's such a big and small part of my life at the same time. Control is key! As for a cure - I don't think it would change how I live my life or what I do. I've done everything and anything I wanted. Backpacked around Europe, climbed the Great Wall of China in a 10km hike, triathlons, marathons, lived in Fance and Australia. Diabetes is part of me but it never stops me. Diabetes isn't about suffering, it's about balance, balancing your sugars, your food and your activity. Balancing the three is tricky but we all do it.

My sugars are in acceptable control most of the time but I still feel horrible. Nothing is going to change that unless my pancreas and metabolic system do the job they are supposed to do. Good for you living as you have but I would bet my last dollar if you felt like me you would be the same miserable that I am. My father who also is insulin dependent feels fine more or less where ever his sugar levels are so in reality we have two different diseases. The bottom line is any medical adviser can sit and tell me all day long that at the levels I generally run I should feel fine but I don't. This disease effects everyone differently. I've had sugars just post 100 and felt horrible.

I totally understand where everyone is coming from - I have had D for 14 years, was diagnosed under horrible (near fatal) circumstances in the middle of high school - but I simply cannot devote my energies to hating the disease for any reason, because I think that kind of attitude robs me (not everyone, but ME) of truly feeling well. I do not understand why anyone would want to/allow themselves to be consumed by it (negative emotions, etc.)...why not convert that into something else?

I know I can come off as a fairly negative person, but I really do like my life. I just hate diabetes with a passion.

My hatred toward diabetes keeps me motivated. I hate it so much that I can't let it win.

It's made me more "in tune" with my body, and is the reason that I'm studying to become a registered dietitian.

That's awesome, Laura - good luck with your studies!!
And, I agree...it totally makes you more in tune!

Please (before you post) think about what you are going to put - some of us are using this thread to share our positive/optimistic outlook or to say something not-so-negative about D.
Positive thinking leads to positive actions which can in turn lead to positive habits, that can all lead to positive results.
http://forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/research-shorts/real-power-po...

Sociologists say that no one is happier than working after a disaster helping others. Knowing what needs to be done and you are critical in making it happen brings satisfaction that routine tasks do not.
The same diet that makes a diabetic healthy is a healthy diet for everyone else. My diabetes has resulted in my family eating a much better diet by stepping up to encourage me. My mother-in-law is moving in with us this weekend. She is 78 with high blood pressure, t2d, and currently neglects her health. She excited about starting to exercise, and eat right and we can give her extra incentive by telling her it is important for me. What is not positive here? Besides, my mother-in-law moving in.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service